17 | conversations

Start from the beginning

"Apologies, I've been pretty invested in the story ever since... well, your arrival and father's passing." He spoke.

"Huh?" Lisa eyed the darkened screen and then him once more. "What?"

"Oh were you not watching the telly? They were talking about the victims, well mostly one of the victims, that was... you know, but then your father..." His words were quickly dying out at the state of her confusion, or maybe something more. "Sorry, I'm sure you don't want to hear about all that given what's happened. I just called you over to tell you that I went through your father's files."

"You went through my Dad's things?" Her voice raised slightly in concern.

"No, no, that came out wrong. I meant the files I have on him and the apartment." He pulled open a cabinet drawer beside his desk and withdrew a file. Laying it open for her to view. "I wanted to check and see if he had ever mentioned anything about the... inhabitant, upstairs."

"Uh, okay?"

He chuckled. "Come on, you know, so we can see how long this has been going on for? Yet all I could find were some complaints about the water pressure in the master shower, which was then fixed but still, let me know if it persists. But other than that, he had never made any other form of complaint."

Lisa nodded her head while looking away from the papers and towards the elevator. Her landlord was making an attempt, sure, but it was futile. Given she already knew the answer, since she had asked them earlier.

"So...?" He spoke again seeing her lack of response.

"So?" She repeated back, eyeing him once more.

He tilted his head, taken back by her lack of emotion. "If this guest hasn't been brought to my attention by yourself the other night, I would say you don't really seem to mind it's presence?"

"At first I did, now?" She shrugged. "Well, you could say we're getting along alright."

"Getting along?" He raised his brows in suspicion. "Don't tell me, are you..." He drew in closer. "Are you speaking to it?"

"Why don't you ask it- her, or whoever, for yourself?" She gestured to her right, where the ever-looming presence still hovered.

Roseanne jolted. Eyes darting from Lisa to the landlord, like a deer caught in a hunter's headlights.

The doorman's eyes widened. "I- It's here? There? Right there?! Are you sure?"

"Pretty sure."

He gulped. "Uh, that'll be all Ms. Manoban. Good day. Now if you'll excuse me." He twirled on the spot and sped away, through an open doorway, closing it tightly behind him.

"Okay then." Lisa swapped the hand she held her bags in at the sound of the latch being turned. "Let's uh, go, yeah?"

Lisa began her walk to the elevator while Roseanne contemplated paying the frightened doorman a little visit and catching up with Lisa later, though the frizzy blonde's voice shook that thought.

"Let's go ghost!" Lisa huffed while watching the elevator door begin to shut, with herself already inside.

Roseanne quickly ran, phasing through the now closed door and coming to a standstill beside Lisa who eyed the space curiously. "You were going to scare him, weren't you?"

"Was not!" She replied with a smile. "Okay, maybe I was."

Lisa withdrew a breath while looking out the window as the elevator climbed, the bags she held swaying slightly with the motion. "Might have been funny... if you had."