Chapter 55: An Unfathomed Bond

Start from the beginning

"What about the Warden? He would know," Feral said.

Kurapika shook his head. "I tried to contact him but it's a dead-end, nor can I get a location. That's why Bisky's out there looking with Ahmad's dad. I'm waiting on her response but there's an obvious setback with Ahmad's situation. I give it another week or two before we find more answers."

"But the newspaper said all the prisoners were released. The missing hunters returned. Wouldn't the Warden be- I don't know, finding another job? I don't see why he'd still hang around the jungle without prisoners or...an actual village."

"The newspaper only talked about a Blood Moon mystery with the returned hunters in a separate article. That place is being investigated right now but I doubt news reporters were able to find a secure source. And if they did, the Hunter's Association would restrict it because of leaked information on the 'Moon's Phases' which is drawing more hunters in to find it. Only we know Raine destroyed it, so those who continue the search will be disappointed. Sir, what do you think?" He turned to Raine's father.

Micheal studied the window before shrugging. "Information like that was hardly exposed to me. Only her mother knew, but she of course took it with her." Then he held a hand out. "It's not something I bother with anymore. Times have changed, our customs have changed." He checked his watch.

Kurapika held his chin. "That may be, but the customs from the village still resumed." He closed his eyes, feeling for the aura around Raine. His fingers curled around the rails. "The gem feels the same around her as it did with Riv. I'm going to find another object to counter this power. Even if it's as far as finding another dark continent object."

"Dark continent...what if the gem took her ability to heal?" Feral shivered while ruffling his hair. The comment only made Kurapika tense more.

"It can't be that bad," Micheal started. "Let's not assume anything until she wakes up."

Feral gasped. "It can't be THAT bad?"

Micheal chuckled, raising a finger. "It's like I always say, life is like a potato."

"A WHAT!"

"A potato."

Feral blinked, waiting for more. "And...."

"That's it. Just a potato."

"You're supposed to say more after that."

"Do I really need to though?" Micheal widened one eye in suspicion.

Feral furrowed his eyebrows in deep concentration. "I don't get it."

"Exactly!" Micheal slammed the table jolting Feral. "Life doesn't make sense. You don't sit there and try to understand everything so why bother."

Feral made a face. "We still have to do something."

Micheal went back to staring out the window. "Honestly, I think she's just resting her eyes."

Kurapika's attention snapped to Micheal unsure if he heard that right.

Feral choked on his coffee, baffled. "Resting her eyes?"

Micheal rested his head on his hand. "If the doctors can't do anything, then I'll let nature take its course. By nature, I mean home where she can at least be in some good weather. That usually does the trick."

"Um- she's kind of in a coma right now." Feral frowned. "I don't think sunshine is considered a cure."

"You'd be surprised," he yawned stretching his arms out. "She'd always sleep outside if the glacier birds flew in for the winter. Even when she's under the weather or in a bad mood."