Chapter 22: Dangerous Secrets

Hisoka made his way through the jungle beside Illumi, somewhere he never thought he'd be. In fact, he wouldn't need to when he could be fighting people in the city. Perhaps at Heaven's Arena. But no, a certain someone behind him held too much power for him to skip. Her aura consumed him in bliss. Just as he awaits to fight Chrollo, all this anticipation excited his bloodlust. His unquenchable bloodlust.

Hisoka strolled without caution, enjoying the scenery. He knew Raine was keeping her guard up for him. If anything were to happen she would be the first to react—

Hmm?~

Her footsteps suddenly went quiet. Although she was behind, he still kept tabs on everyone around him. But she suddenly...disappeared.

He turned around. Just plants and trees.

Everyone paused.

"Ahmad, "she said appearing in a tree, "Up there!" She pointed to a green figure surrounded by leaves.

Ahmad stepped back surprised. "How did you- never mind. Everyone, move to the opening over there and spread out."

He led them to a small circled area of thick leaves scattered on the ground within six large tree trunks.

She used Zetsu~

He and the others also turned on their Zetsu. The trees were as thick as pillars that could hold a whole mansion.

Hisoka sat down taking in the view. "Pretty~" He anticipated the precarious situation as if a show was about to begin.

Illumi stood next to him ignoring Ahmad's heed about spreading out.

"Hmm, I didn't know snakes could be that big," Illumi said.

A huge python-looking creature sat high in the branches. Its pigmented teal scales blended in with the leaves, but its head was ginormous. It wouldn't even fit into a house if it slithered through the garage. Its eyes were closed. The jungle went silent. Raine perched on a branch behind one of the trees with her blades in her hands. Bisky and Kurapika hid under a canopy behind another tree. All three of their eyes pinned the snake with that Hunter's gaze. A haunting glare pinpointing their prey.

Ahmad rose from the ground, vines lifting him up. His arm stretched out summoning lavender-colored flowers with bright green energy radiating from him.

Hisoka watched closely, amused by his strength. He already counted three habits of this man that could be exposed in a fight.

The flowers dotted the trees with the snake, silently surrounding it, who seemed to be sleeping and unmoving. Then the flower buds blossomed, releasing glowing spores that sprinkled the air, floating into the beast's nose. The snake finally opened its eyes. White and empty. Not red. Hisoka collected shivers from Bisky's hunched posture. It was indeed terrifying.

A wave of power released from its eyes, a sharp breeze followed. It froze the spores immediately midair. Ahmad's power ceased. The vines stood still. The flowers paused. But apparently, Hisoka and the others were fine.

Everyone stiffened. No one tried to move.

Oh my~

And then, the few glowing spores, that had already made contact with its skin, started melting through. The snake twitched once. Then twice. Then collapsed to the floor with a loud thud. Its eyes now closed as the spores consumed its body from the inside, eating the skin last like fire incinerating paper.

Ahmad moved again, his body out of breath falling to the ground. His arms raised in a desperate struggle to release his Nen on the flowers.

"Step— back," he grunted.