Chapter 19: Showdown

WARNING:
This content may be sensitive to some users. Read at your own discretion. Contains violence, gore, and homicidal events.

I leaped out of my chair and dodged Hisoka's grasp, then sprinted out of the tent. Now was the time to run before his trap. In that instant, the joy-filled circus became a death trap for me to stay in as I anticipated it would. But Hisoka's bloodlust oozed too much, pressing against my back. A heavy warning.

Their powers...I can't handle it. I know what he's planning.

I desperately climbed onto the rooftops for a better angle. The night welcomed me with a gentle breeze...but this would be anything but gentle. The roofs of each building were large and flat at different height levels. Easy to get by and escape through though I'd be as exposed as a white rabbit on the road. The naked moon and stars illuminated the city without a blanket of clouds to cast shadows.

Gyo! I sensed something in the air, my eyes scanned my surroundings.

Oh no. From the third act.

It was the small dot of Nen I saw traveling from box to box. Hisoka didn't need to catch up, he had these people after me. But why? To test my strength?

The dot rocketed toward me and I darted the other way, running as fast I could-

BOOM!

I covered my ears in time, but the sound knocked me back. The little dot...it was like a speaker. I didn't have time to completely analyze the situation. Kesem was after me. He was here and I needed to take him out.

The sound still pounded my eardrums, making it hard to concentrate. I couldn't locate him and kept running. But where? Away from here, away from the city where no one would get hurt. Is that dumb of me? Probably. The further I ran, the weaker the sounds became.

It probably has to do with range and is connected to Kesem's distance.

My skin shuddered, sensing someone else nearby. As I leaped over a building, my vision showed a girl about to attack me from behind a chimney. I immediately picked up a rock and flung it at her.

Ko!

She cried out in pain when she jumped out, taking her by surprise. The rock shattered her right hand and she fell to the floor. It was the acrobat from the first act. I sprinted the other way already understanding the danger of her power.

I need Bisky. But I shouldn't put her in danger too.

The acrobat picked herself up and followed behind closely.

It probably activates when she touches me.

"Why are you doing this?" I shouted. I knew she was somewhat exhausted from her act. There was no way she could catch up.

"Don't you know Hisoka?" She surprisingly responded through ragged breaths behind me. Stinging sensations gnawed my skin. I could feel the pain flooding from her, onto me, but my adrenaline barely covered it. What had Hisoka done to instill fear within her?

I imagined Bisky yelling at me, telling me I couldn't protect everyone.

I can't let her get caught in the crossfire. This is between me and Hisoka. Not anyone else.

I stopped on another flattened roof, "What happens if you fail?"

"I don't know...I can't risk it. I can't risk my career!" She ran in to touch me, but I naturally evaded.

"How do you know Hisoka?" I asked her, ducking a punch. This might be my chance to get an advantage over him on the battle.

The girl and I were both agile, her slightly more flexible but weaker in strength. Her movements were quick but lacked in the arm with the broken hand.