Chapter 15 Bloodlust pt. 2

I have to save them. What if they are a bad person? It doesn't matter, I reminded myself.

I stood up holding my pounding head. "Someone- I can't explain. Please- "

"We'll come with you," Kurapika came closer.

"No, no, you have to get the map somewhere safe!"

"Then just me," Bisky balled her fist. "No arguments. Go!" She ran beside me so determined. I didn't have time to argue with her.

Kurapika gritted his teeth regretfully but left immediately.

We darted from roof-to-roof sprinting after the source. Our black cloaks were more conspicuous in the moonlight.

"There," I whispered.

I brought Bisky with me to hide in the shadows cast by a couple of tall crates. We peeked over into a wide alleyway between two clay buildings. Shrouded in a small corner was a middle-aged man in torn grey clothes. He was holding a knife in one hand while the other arm was disfigured, lying lifeless beside him. Blood dripped from his head. His eyes were frozen in terror.

I hated that look.

Hisoka ruthlessly towered over him like a predator about to enjoy his last meal.

No, no, no. Sweat clammed my skin, my heart raced. Was that the guy who was following us? Raine, don't interfere. He must be the stalker. You knew he was going to die. But he's just like everyone else in this city right? What if he just needs money? Why...

The man's emotions flooded rapidly. Tension forced jagged breaks in his aura. But within the rush, I strangely saw faint colors of love. Love? A small stroke of vibrant red wisped near his heart, whereas, the red surrounding Hisoka was a deep velvet as if the substance was blood-drenched.

I bit my lip, trying to figure out what to do.

"Raine! Raine!" I realized Bisky was trying to get my attention. "What do you want to do?"

I looked at her wanting to say something, but it was hard to tune her in through the chaos. Instead of responding, I found my head turning back to the man.

"Agh!" He grunted, kicked in the head by Hisoka, flopping to his side.

"I- I'm sorry. Hold on." I couldn't help myself. I needed answers. My instincts reacted faster than I could think.

TRUE HEART!

A new facade of white flashed my vision as I focused my power to the man, extending my aura and connecting with his. The moment ours intertwined, I saw a glimpse his life, the recent events, his reason behind doing this. I didn't linger long as it could suck up too much power, but I saw all I needed to know.

I blinked a few times, adjusting to reality then turned to Bisky who stiffened in reaction. "Hisoka is in a state where I fear one of us would get heavily injured if we both took him on. This might not make sense, but I'm going to talk to him instead. Please Bisky, I need you to get the man out of there while I distract him. Whatever you do, he comes first! He- he has a kid. Nearby. There's no time to explain everything." My hands flaunted around trying to get words out, but she grabbed them, held me still, and stared into my eyes. She knew I already cared too deeply.

"Go with your gut. I trust you."

I took a deep breath and nodded.

Hisoka took out a playing card to slit his throat. "Oh, come on now, you didn't put up a good fight~" He chuckled. "Oh well-

His eyes immediately shifted, sensing my blade fling at him. It pinned his card against the wall, and I body slammed him away from the man. Hisoka slid back a few meters in a defensive stance while I guarded the crippled man, and took my blade out of the wall.