Chapter 41: A Secret Plan

Feral sat behind the market square panting. He crouched by a tree, burying himself in his arms. His body shook from the fight, the near-death experience. Guilt flooded from his lack of confidence.

He slowly leaned back, looking at his hands.

Why couldn't I do what she asked me? S-so much power...Raine, how did you do it?

His mind flashed with their clashing scene. Her blue eyes, her powerful Ren charging at Riv's hellish rage. It was no match for him but her small barrier stirred through Riv's toxicity. How she fluently kept him distracted so he could do something and yet...his body was still shaking. Both of their auras were incredibly haunting.

But Raine was scared too...

Feral lifted his head looking at his arm. One had Raine's reddened grip on him as she froze in terror. On the other, the lizard had bitten him, his body copied the lethal poison. Yet he was too nervous to use it. Raine counted on him and he failed. Feral balled his fist and sat up.

"No more being scared..." Feral caught his breath. His eyes darting to the beast beside him. The strange invisible dog sat waiting patiently.

"She helped me escape from the tower did you know?"

The large dog blinked.

"She saved you too huh? You're Riv's right-hand guard."

The dog wagged its tail.

"Right...you were." Feral searched around him. He ran his hands through his frizzed hair, then took his lab coat off, wiping the sweat off his face. The most terrifying experience he had ever come across, and he survived. The dog floated over by his pants, nudging at his side pocket.

Feral followed his gesture then took out the cone Raine gave him, fumbling with it in his hands. "Looks like I still have a part to play," he muttered. "It's not over..."

Just this morning he woke up in bed wondering if he would ever get out of here. And now...he met this girl over an hour ago. And he was free. A fugitive but free.

Feral stood up, the dog up to his shoulders sitting down. "I have to get this information to her friends but I have no idea what they look like." Feral peeked behind a tree towards the market squares. A fine view of the entire path that led up to the mountain of the Chief's Tower. Feral raised the cone to his lips and blew.

*Bzzzzzz*

It sent its vibrations. Letting her friends know he was here. Hopefully, he could get a signal back to know how close they were. Feral turned to the dog.

"You and I both know he'll be on the lookout with his guards." Feral let out a breath studying his blood and dirt-stained pants. His clothes also needed to be changed. "And I'll have to snag some clothes for the ceremony." Feral examined the crowd of people around the corner.

Suddenly the dog rose and faded away. "At least I have- hey! Where are you going!?"

It disappeared. A cold breeze swift by. Feral slumped back to the floor behind the tree groaning.

Great now what am I supposed—

*BZZZZZ*

Feral jolted back at the sudden vibration. A strong intensity jumbling in his hands.

They're that close?!

His eyes widened as he peaked back at the crowd of people. His eyes darting to every person. But then he hid again at a sudden realization. His heart pounding in his chest.