Chapter 30: A New Perspective

"Oh, it's back." Bisky noticed me approaching with the wolf.

Illumi was talking to Ahmad. As I got closer they turned but didn't say a word. Ahmad's eyes flickered from the wolf to me...and it was the first time I noticed Ahmad's true discomfort show. A look almost of disappointment. A soft grey shade steaming under the surface.

Kurapika studied us intensely.

"It's okay. It's true, he was being controlled but not anymore." The wolf laid down, resting its head on its legs. I kneeled beside him attempting to pet it.

"You got all that from the aura?" Bisky asked.

I nodded. "There are no words coming from him, his aura doesn't talk. I'm not surprised because he's an animal now. But his emotions remain just as strong as any of us. In fact, I think he's come back to warn or help us. He's...hurting. Guilty even." The wolf whimpered again. Despite the dark, translucent ash bones and its demonic pierced eyes, it was fairly cute. At least to me.

We sat down on a couple of rocks at the edge of the woods. The patched, thin grass surrounded the area until it faded back into the jungle.

"Where's Hisoka?" Kurapika asked.

"He's getting the cone. He should be here shortly." I glanced back to the trees.

We waited a few moments gathered together until he came back.

"I hope I wasn't gone very long...I was quite distracted the past half hour~" He said holding the rose-pink cone.

I focused on the wolf.

Right...

A deep buzzing vibration shook in my pocket. Ahmad had blown into his cone. "Keep this whistle with you at all times. It's not meant to be loud but when blown, it sends a low vibration to all other cones. The waves are inaudible so you should feel them intensely with physical contact. Others won't be able to detect it unless they also have one. This will aid us communication if separated or determine an approximate location based on how strong the signal is."

Illumi fiddled with it impressed. He would no doubt look into it more later.

Bisky sat on my left, the wolf on my right. Everyone else was looking at me.

"Do you still think you can do it?" Bisky asked.

"Oh- right, yes."

Okay...that's my cue.

"I'll give it a go." It was clear they were anticipating for me to get information but it still felt strange as I just met the creature and I'm already digging into its personal memories. I looked down at the wolf and it perked its head. "Do you mind?" I asked awkwardly.

He tilted his head.

"I'm going to take a look at your life...and figure out how you got here."

The wolf laid its head on my thighs for approval. His aura created a soft lining. I could feel some sort of lightweight as if a feather rested under my skin.

I took a deep breath. I was more nervous than I anticipated, shaking almost.

The wolf's life. He must have killed so many people. Will I see that? Wait— it's not just that....

If I see him...the last time I saw Riv's face was when he... My hands paused hovering over it.

Bisky placed a hand on my shoulder. She had scooted nearer, bringing me back to reality. My eyes remained glued to the wolf.