Chapter 55: An Unfathomed Bond

3 Weeks Later...

*Beep*

*Beep*

*Beep*

"I'm sorry sir, but there have been no signs of progress. We're going to have to turn off the machines."

"Look Dr..."

"Caurs."

"Dr. Caurs...I know my daughter. You can turn off the machines if you'd like but are you sure she doesn't need a Nen exorcist or anything?" Micheal cringed from the bitter coffee, a stale taste that only matched the unusual frigid rail he held. The rail that surrounded Raine's resting bed. Crisp, white blankets poofed beneath her, but the way she laid, statued and stiff, negated any sign of comfort. The bland walls of the hospital brooded pointlessly. The sharp odor of antiseptics and bleach was too unnatural. His daughter certainly didn't belong here.

Dr Caur sighed, adjusting his glasses. "Unfortunately, this is not the doing of Nen. We've tried everything we could. She might just have to wake up on her own, and I agree she should be taken home. Of course...we could send over medical care every so often but we don't see another--

"It's alright Dr.," Kurapika held up a hand. "Just give us the quick rundown and we'll be out of your hands."

Dr. Caurs ran a finger down his clipboard. "This is the last checkup I can provide."

"Of course," Kurapika said.

Feral fumbled with the flowers by Raine's bed, while Micheal closed his eyes, tuning in. A medium-sized window was the only opening that let fresh air in, drowning out the hums of vents.

"Her body still hasn't reacted to any assistance provided. She's about the same as when you brought her in. Even the bruises and scars she held have not healed after treatments. The only significant difference was shown inside her brain activity which we won't be able to examine until she wakes up. There's an alarming amount of energy surrounding an area of the brain that releases hormones and formulates memories."

Micheal examined Raine, tucked under the sheeted blankets. Eye bags dragged beneath her, even after the few weeks of sleeping. Her skin was tattered and pale without the sun's beams. Her feet had softened without the rigid grounds they ran through. Her hair lay ruffled and deflated of her wild texture. Something heavy sat over her, something strange, yet nothing in her face hinted discomfort. Micheal slowly inhaled through his nose, relaxing his shoulders. The picture before him hadn't swayed his thoughts. Nothing could because it was Raine's natural being to get back up and try again. This couldn't be permanent. "Is that all?" He asked.

"No, there's another sum of energy stimulating her optic nerves. Her eyesight may be affected when waking up as well. That is all we know," the doctor said flipping through pages on his clipboard.

Kurapika thanked him and the doctor proceeded to walk out. Micheal sipped his steaming coffee once more, attempting to welcome it but cringed again in disappointment.

"So...are we taking Raine back?" Feral asked hunched at a cushioned seat across the room. A coffee table sat in the middle of three other chairs.

Micheal had only flown in a week ago with the delay of unknown contact between her friends and was still getting to know them now. He joined Feral seated at a chair closest to the window, opening it more. A faint aroma fluttered his nose. Musk, yet fairly muted, before he turned to face Raine. Sun beams saturated his skin, though it could not reach her. "Yeah, I'll take her back tomorrow."

Kurapika checked his phone. "We still need to find more answers looking into the history of that gem, but I couldn't find anything at the library. And because she destroyed it, I think it's using her body as a vessel, but I remember clues about her eyes being separated from the object itself on purpose." He stuffed it into his pocket. "There's a lot we need to look into."