21: not too late

* * *

* * *

Wooyoung wakes up on Saturday, takes one look at his messy hair that sticks in all directions as a result of sleep, and decides he needs a freaking change.

Like right now.

The strands are long, messing with his vision whenever he doesn't have his glasses on, but Wooyoung isn't keen on cutting them. Yes, they can use a little trim so they don't turn matted and limp, but what he wants most is a new hair colour. He wants to see his reflection and actually feel like a new person. Like he's just begun a fresh chapter of his life, no matter how cheesy that may sound.

San said he'll look good blond, so with satisfied, cheerful hums, Wooyoung yanks off his clothes and waltzes under the shower head. But before he flicks on the faucet he realizes if he plans on dyeing his hair today, he can't wash it. So he skips out on that and cleans himself with speed a cheetah would be envious of, and steps out of the shower to dry himself, steam cloaking him like smoke.

Ms Jung is making quick toast and bacon after Wooyoung's done dressing up, the woman's brows rising at the fact that he isn't wearing pyjamas this time around.

"Going out with Yunho and Mingi?" She questions, then pauses a little. "Or San?"

That pause draws out an anxious chuckle from Wooyoung, and he rushes towards her side to help with the plates.

"Not sure, actually," he answers, avoiding her eyes. He knows it's just him being overly paranoid, but he can't shake the possibility of his mom discovering his deepest secrets by taking just one look at his face.

"I mean, I want to go out with S -- err," Wooyoung bites his tongue, placing the utensils on the tablecloth with more force than needed. "I mean -- Can I ask you something?"

Puzzled by her son's behaviour, Ms Jung sets the juice cartons on the table and turns to face him. "Of course. What is it?"

"What if...I decided I wanted to dye my hair today?" Wooyoung inhales. "What would you say to that?"

His mom shrugs, to his utmost surprise. "I mean...do whatever you feel like doing, Wooyoung. As long as it's not some urine-coloured green, I'm fine with your choice."

Wooyoung releases the breath he'd been holding captive. "Really?"

"Yes, son," the woman answers, playfully exasperated. She stills when Wooyoung jumps into her arms with a smothering hug, the first they've had in a long while.

Wooyoung realizes this too, and sombers up. "Thanks, mom. You're the best."

Ms Jung smiles, though her slight confusion with this entire ordeal is still present. She rubs his back nevertheless. "Anything for you, dear. But are you really sure you're turning eighteen? You're like a big baby."