10: we're a-okay

tw: mentions of domestic abuse

* * *

There once was a time Wooyoung hadn't been so put off by touch. When he was a kid he'd never seemed to be starved of cheek kisses from his mother when he was done dressing up for school. Those kisses are for good luck, she'd always tell him, and Wooyoung of course found them overbearing at times because all the other boys his age weren't receiving smooches from their moms daily.

But Wooyoung never complained, because he loved his mother -- still does, and her taking the time to hug and kiss him meant she felt the same way too.

He used to like his dad, too, once upon a time when the man would arrive home from work and playfully squeeze his shoulder and ask about his day at school. He'd sometimes even carry Wooyoung on his back, as Wooyoung back then liked to feel like he could fly. Like Superman.

And Wooyoung had been so used to it, so used to feeling happy and content with his life with both his parents, that he'd never known it wouldn't last forever till the moment it all came crashing down.

The day his dad lost his job was the day Wooyoung mourned the loss of his father, because the man that remained was nothing but a mere imposter who just so happened to bear the same face.

And then, gone were the shoulder pats, the hugs, the encouraging smiles. Gone were the gentle words and care, as they'd been replaced by heavy hands, shattered liquor bottles and heated, violent arguments.

Wooyoung can almost feel the man's fingers clamped around his neck when something pats his leg right then. It's Mingi, his touch brief as he knows Wooyoung doesn't like when they linger.

Gaining Wooyoung's attention, he juts his chin at the phone laid beside him, a message notification igniting the screen.

san from class.

Still a little shaken from the memory, Wooyoung's fingers shake as he opens the message, far too careless.

At Mingi's gasp, Wooyoung quickly jolts upright, before shoving himself to the corner of Yunho's bed with his phone in hand.

"Why is there a nude on your phone?" Mingi whispers, eyes wide as saucers.

"It's not a nude," Wooyoung hurries to defend himself, casting a quick glance at Yunho's work table. The guy's finishing up his sex-ed project with his partner, headphones intact fortunately. "It's a painting, from San."

Mingi's eyes grow even bigger, his physics workbook forgotten on his lap. "San? What -- why is he sending you nude paintings for Christ's sake?"

Wooyoung just despises the way he exposes too much at times. "Um, no reason."

"You can't expect me to believe San just sent you a painting with a guy's ass cheeks out for no reason," Mingi argues, and fuck, Wooyoung mentally berates himself for slipping up and being so damn careless.