19: ice cream to the rescue

* * *

* * *

No one talks for like, five seconds, but then San sits upright, hastily combing through his hair while a couch pillow's pressed on his crotch. A big, convincing smile stretches across his face, and if Wooyoung wasn't currently kicking himself on the inside for being so stupid he would've fawned over how lovely San looks at this moment, his pretty eyes crinkled and cheeks a subtle rosy pink.

"Good day, Ms Jung," San greets, and despite how freaked out Wooyoung is, he admires the taller's confidence. It's like San was never almost caught with his hands inside Wooyoung's pants in the first place, and maybe if Wooyoung thinks about it hard enough, it can turn out to be true.

"Hi, San," Ms Jung replies. Her keys jingle as she shuts the door, the sound of her heels echoing in Wooyoung's mind. When she turns and faces them again, Wooyoung can't take the terse atmosphere any longer.

"San had something in his eye," he blurts. His index finger shakes as he pushes up his glasses, way too anxious. San watches him, but he doesn't dare look him in the eyes. "He wanted me to help him get it out."

"Really?" His mother asks, sounding distracted. She walks to the table holding a few family photos, hands searching behind them. "Hopefully you two were able to get that thing out?"

Wooyoung clears his throat. His mother doesn't look particularly happy, but she isn't seething with rage either. "Yeah, we did."

"Uh, looking for something, Ms Jung?" It's San that speaks up then, doing this weird arm-stretch that the woman fortunately doesn't look at or notice.

"Yes. A key for one of the rooms in the hospital. Had to drive back for it and saw your bike at the front, San," Ms Jung replies, to Wooyoung's dismay. She's said nothing of the position him and San were in moments prior, eyes completely focused on finding that key.

But even then, Wooyoung has to know. "S-So you saw nothing else? Nothing at all?"

"Is there something I should've? I just assumed San was in the house and he was," his mom replies, and then snaps her fingers. "The key's probably in my room now that I think about it."

With that, she disappears into the corridor, and Wooyoung's legs almost give way with relief. That was so close.

San, with an arm still outstretched, looks at him with concern written all over his face. "You looked so scared."

Wooyoung doesn't want to admit just how close he was to shutting down, so he targets San instead. "What are you even doing?"

"Trying to get rid of my boner," San answers, voice hushed.

Wooyoung's face reddens, feeling as if someone had lit a match to it.

Before the taller says anything else that turns him into a fumbling mess, his mother reappears, expression a lot more open now.