Chapter 38

I will never be
somebody else's
I will always be
either entirely yours
or completely my own.

I searched
a thousand forevers
for you,
only you.

There is nothing else
that I will ever find
beyond you and I.

Bucky left after they had their conversation. Not that she would have known what to say if he stayed. Night had fallen though which meant he could get to whatever Winter Solider business he was planning on.

Melora picked up her phone instead, searching through the various numbers until she found the blond man. One ring sounded before the call was picked up on the other end.

"Mel? Are you alright?" Steve immediately asked, making the smile spread on her face.

"I'm fine, Steve. We both are," she replied while getting under the covers of her bed. "He's doing a lot better, hasn't had a fallback for about two weeks now."

"How much does he remember?" He asked, and she glanced towards her backpack, the one where his notebook was lying in.

"I don't ask. More, I guess," she sighed deeply. "He just feels a little more like him. Slow, but him... Did you stop by my place?"

"I did. Mrs McKinnon is doing fine, but she is wondering when you'll be getting back. We all are," Steve said, but she doubted he was just referring to her. It was hardly fair, but they had settled on that for now, and Steve was doing something for the common good.

"I'm starting to wonder that myself," she huffed, glaring up at the ceiling above her head. "It's getting harder and harder to not tell him everything..."

"I'm trusting you with this," Steve seriously spoke.

"Yeah, yeah, don't worry. Have you found out more about HYDRA?" She asked instead, pulling her knees up to her chest.

"We took down another one of their bases. Easier when most of the team is here. There wasn't anything of note there," Steve said as she stretched out her arm and let out a loud yawn. "Natasha's got a bone to pick with you by the way – for being gone so long. Barton isn't pleased either."

"Didn't expect them to be," she laughed and shook her head. "Tell them I'm living my best life, travelling the world, and everything..."

"...Tony said he could track you down in seconds." Her eyebrows furrowed, thinking they had already settled on this matter.

"And?" She expectantly asked.

"I told him not to in the end," Steve replied, and she let out a relaxed sigh.

"I'd like to see him try. It could humble him a bit," she chuckled, glancing out of the windowed doors to the balcony, a few stars in the night sky.

"He could use it," Steve agreed, making her smile.

"How are you doing though?" Melora asked, curious about her friend. It was weird not talking to people.

"I'm good. Listened to some more Bowie like you told me to, and I gotta say, it's pretty good," he replied honestly, and she let out a chuckle.

"I told you, you were going to like it!" She laughed out, turning on her side in the bed. "I'm getting pretty bored reading random library books myself..." A deep sigh left her. God was she tired. "Listen, I'm gonna go for now, but be careful out there, and call me if you're in big trouble."