Chapter 21

I've learned to
be gentle with that part of me 
that takes it in so deeply,
and holds on to it for far too long,

that's also the part of me that loves
like an awakening,
and knows what it's like
to trace a soul in my fingertips

Melora never tried encouraging words when she spent time with Steve. For the most part, she was showing him the world, all of the years he had missed. The movies and movies were left to speak for themselves.

Sometimes an understanding silence was better than a bunch of meaningless words. He spent a lot of time training. It was a good way for him to let out his emotions. A smile would usually cross her face as she thought of how stereotypical they were.

The woman used writing as a form of therapy while the man fought them in calm. She still did the same as him, of course, fighting various dummies she had built herself in the garage. Heimdall would kill her if she slacked off.

That was where she was. Her carpenter tools were hanging at the back, the whole room smelling like wood, car oil, and her sweat. The Impala had been put out on the street, for the time being, black metal shining in the sun.

The garage door was wide open, allowing air to flow inside. Hit after hit and heavy breathing could be heard from inside. Melora had pulled out her wooden dummies, blocking and punching as the parts spun around. Sweat was pooling in her hair, running down her neck and forehead.

"You should take a break." The voice sounded behind her, and Melora let out a deep sigh, letting her thoughts fade as she ran the back of her hand across her forehead. She looked behind her, seeing the elderly neighbour standing there and looking in at her with a calm smile.

"Yeah, I might need some water," she smiled kindly and walked closer. Mrs McKinnon knew Melora didn't like it when she walked inside, so she always waited for her to come closer. There was a covered plate in her hands. "What's that?"

"Oh, well, I've noticed the nice man coming here, and I thought you could enjoy this together," Mrs McKinnon slyly smiled and Melora shook her head, knowing she was referring to Steve, but she took the plate anyway. The smell was incredible.

"Don't you trust my cooking?" She asked, grinning and lifting the cover to see some kind of incredibly smelling citrusy cake.

"Well, smell travels through the walls," the woman heartedly chuckled and Melora shook her head.

"Thank you, but Steve and I are just friends – don't give me that look," she laughed, seeing the suggestive glint in the woman's eyes.

"Whatever he is, I'm sure the two of you can enjoy it together," Mrs McKinnon said, waving her off as she started up the stairs again, moving one step at a time, but Melora quickly caught up with her.

"How is the table holding up by the way?" She asked and stretched a hand forward. Only a few weeks ago, she had fixed up the neighbour's old table. She couldn't help herself from adding a few Asgardian carving details, and the old woman had adored the addition.

"Oh, it's beautiful! My granddaughter adored the carvings, she wants a table from you when she moves away from home." Melora had grabbed onto the woman's arm, helping her up the stairs while trying to not rub off her sweat.

"Good! I'm glad I can help," she said, smiling as she opened up the door and helped her inside once again. "Take care of yourself, alright?" She waved as the woman walked towards her door.

"Yes, yes... remember to share the cake!" Mrs McKinnon ushered, and Melora solemnly nodded, shaking her head as soon as the woman was gone.

The resemblance to her older brother was remarkable, and she wished she had spoken to Kirkland at least once before he passed. Mrs McKinnon herself couldn't remember much of him; she was a child during the war, but by pulling a few strings, Melora had been able to get her a proper place to live.