Chapter 7

Melora let the doors to the training room stay open. The sandpit in the middle would do fine as a fighting ring, and all she had to do was move the various weights. She quickly did so and began taking off the uniform provided for her.

Fighting in it would probably be a bad idea, and if she ended up damaging it in some way it would be clear to anyone around a fight had occurred. Melora was in the midst of pulling the jacket off when she heard the numerous footsteps behind her.

A whistle was the first sound, and it was quite clear now that she was indeed a woman. She dressed down to her t-shirt and pants, taking off the hat as well to reveal her shiningly pale hair. It was clearly more golden than it had been a few hours ago.

"Anyone who wants to fight me can step into the ring," she said, brushing off her hands and stepping into the threshold.

A few of the men laughed, still eyeing her body while others began taking off their jackets, and Bucky, Dugan and Jones came over behind her.

"Are you sure you're up for this, Lieutenant?" Dugan asked, eyeing the other men who were readying to fight. Melora was not surprised. Dugan had keen eyes and had probably noticed she was not a man.

"Is that doubt in your voice, Corporal?" She asked, a smirk on her face, and Bucky let out a laugh. She sent the brown-haired man a wink before turning around, straightening her back and folding her arms behind it.

"So, six of you, is it?" She asked and the men nodded, all wanting to fight her apparently. It was more than she had anticipated, but she did not doubt her skill in close combat. "The fight ends when you are knocked out, or out of bounds – would not want to ruin your pretty faces."

Most of the Privates who had decided to take her up on her offer were about the same height as her, some of them slightly taller and some shorter. The majority had the same build, all of them having gone through the same training.

She put herself in a fighting stance, the latest one Heimdall had taught her on Asgard before she left. The men did the same, and she sent a nod in Bucky's direction, wanting him to be the one to start them off.

"Begin!" He shouted and Private Hobbs was the first to reach her, right hand drawn back.

Hobbs was large and slow. She ducked, bending her knees and punching him in the stomach, trying to push underneath his ribs. He bent over, air leaving his lungs, and she threw him into the two others who had advanced. All three fell on their asses.

Cheers immediately sounded around them, the eager faces of the soldiers all locked to the people within the sandpit, egging everyone on. A blond man approached from her left, making her slide right. Her clenched fist hit his side, going for his kidney. With his momentum, he fell out of bounds.

"That's one out!" Bucky shouted, cheers for her quickly filling the room, and jabs were being made towards the soldiers in the pit.

A black-haired man saw his chance, trying to hit her from the right. She could not avoid the hit completely. She braced the punch on her lowly arm, protecting her face. As if in a dance, she gracefully slid by him, kicking the back of his knees as he fell.

"Go for her feet!" Hobbs yelled, the guy closest immediately trying to trip her as she attempted to move back in a defensive stance.

Melora jumped his leg, kicking him in the face, and still using the moment of the jump, her fist hit his cheek. The man tumbled, making it easy for her to kick him out of the ring.

"And that's another one!" Bucky yelled, another round of cheers. "Give them hell, Mel!"

Encouraged by his words, she grabbed onto the black-haired man again, holding his shirt as she heavily hit his stomach, forcing him to stumble backwards, and eventually, his feet were out. The three guys she had knocked on their asses were finally up again.