Chapter 15

The pub was hundreds of conversations told in loud voices, all of them competing with the music as it tried to drown them out. The crowd was soldiers and those who came to court them. Who did not want a night with a man fighting for freedom after all?

Dugan, Gabe, Dernier, Montgomery, Morita and Melora were all sitting around a table not far from the bar where Bucky was standing in an attempt to get them another round. They were a few drinks in when a familiar and robust man fell in the seat no longer occupied by Bucky.

Steve explained how he was looking to put together a team. He had gotten a look at one of the maps telling where various Hydra bases were placed, and he wanted to wipe them off of that map. They were all supposed to be a part of this said team.

"So, let's get this straight," Dugan said, putting down his glass and pointing at the broad man.

"We barely got out of there alive, and you want us to go back in?" Gabe asked, glancing to her for answers, but she was more than ready to fight again.

"Pretty much," Steve replied, pursing his lips and tilting his head.

"Sounds rather fun, actually," Montgomery spoke while fixing the cuffs of his jacket.

"I'm in," Morita said after letting out a belch.

Gabe and Dernier exchanged a few words in French, sounding mightily excited while the others looked on in confusion, not understanding a word from the two of them, of course, and after a handshake and a chuckle Gabe spoke up.

"We're in," he said, gesturing to himself and Dernier.

"Lieutenant?" Dugan asked, seeing as her eyebrows were still furrowed in thought, and she let go of her sucked in lips, straightening her back.

"Well, working with a new platoon would not be fun and I've been rather bored lately," she said, a smile creeping on her face. "I go where my men go."

"Hell, I'll always fight," Dugan said, raising his glass to her before looking back at Steve. "But there's one thing you gotta do for me."

"What's that?" Steve asked, raising an eyebrow at the bowler-hat wearing man who quickly emptied the full glass of beer.

"Open a tab," Dugan replied, making all of them laugh and give a short cheer as Steve stood up and wandered over to the bar where Bucky was also standing.

"Well, that was easy," Morita laughed while she shook her head.

"Do you think we're going to have to wear the same outfits as him?" Melora slyly chuckled, finishing off her drink as well.

"Was that a joke, Lieutenant?" Montgomery asked, all of them letting out chuckles, and she gave a nod, sending him a wink as well.

"Seeing you in spandex might make the men want to fight," Gabe laughed as she threw a handful of peanuts at him.

"Be careful or you'll wake up with a wooden leg," she grinned, making him shoot up his hands in defence.

"Yeah, Jones, she just has to wear that dress and we'll be fine," Montgomery cackled, gesturing to the dress she was currently in as she rolled her eyes.

"Monty," she warningly said while shaking her head. "I never thought you'd be one to play with fire." Her honeyed voice made all of them pique up, having never heard her use the tone before.

"I wouldn't mind having a taste of whatever the Sarge is having," Montgomery laughed, looking her up and down and leaning over the table still between them as the group watched their exchange. "A night with you seems to change a man."