Chapter 33

Please, let him be soft.

I know you made him
with gunmetal bones
 and wolf's teeth.

I know you made him to be
a pawn
a puppet
a soldier

But even gunmetal can warp
and even wolf's teeth can dull
and I do not want to see him break
the way old and worn and overused things do.

I do not want to see him go up in flames
the way all soldiers end up erased

I know you will tell me
that the world took him
they needed his heart
and his faith
and his power
and his strength
and his bones and his teeth and his blood and his voice and his-

The world took everything from him.

Damn the world,
and damn you too
Damn anyone that ever asked anything of him
damn anyone that ever took anything from him
damn anyone that ever laid a finger on him

you have already made so many villains
you have already made so many warriors
you have already made so many pawns and puppets
so many soldiers.

So, please, I beg you-
he is all
and you have so many
and the world has so many more

Let him be soft.

Melora ran across the hangar with Sam and Steve by her side, trying to get to the carrier as quickly as possible. They weren't out in the air just yet. Only one of them had launched so far. Good thing for them.

"Hey, Cap, how do we tell the good guys from the bad guys?" Sam asked, watching the various people running around. Most of them appeared to be running away.

"If they're shooting at you, they're bad," he replied. That was easy enough to remember. She could already feel the adrenaline in her bones, the need for battle running through her veins as she tried to keep it at bay.

Sam powered up his wings, flying into the air as she and Steve jumped from the bay doors and down onto the Helicarrier. He rolled, using his shield while she simply landed normally, not needing to protect herself in this form.

Steve set off in a sprint, noticing the people there with guns, and Melora did the same. For once, she was able to keep up with him. They started firing. She pulled the blade from her back, making it appear out of nothing. Their bullets were unable to penetrate her shining armour.

They started backing off as she charged headfirst at them, Steve going to the side to have some cover. Melora swung her blade, slicing straight through a semiautomatic rifle, and she turned the blade around, blunt side swinging into a man's head and launching the guy into a stack of crates.

The others kept firing, bullets falling to the ground while she heard Sam and Cap speaking in her ear. She was much too focused, running up to the next guy, and through his helmet, she saw the terror-stricken expression as she kicked his chest, sending him into three other guys. Two of them falling off of the side of the carrier.

The other carriers rose in the air as well, Sam focusing on them, and the shots were already roaring through the air.

"Falcon, status?" Hill sounded in her ear while she charged up against yet another armed HYDRA agent.