Chapter 20

I am not Sorry
for wanting what I deserve
And I'm not afraid
to walk away to find it

But sometimes
all I need is to sit in the rain
maybe I can drown
in something other than
my own thoughts

"So, working on yet another book?" Fury asked, strutting around her living room, and she was already regretting letting him into her living room.

"Always am," she said, scratching out the last three lines. They needed more work, different compositions. "You know, other directors would have contacted me immediately if something like back in New Mexico happened."

Melora was still mad at him, furious really, but it was too late, and if she had learned anything, it was how useless hanging too closely onto the past was. Talking with someone who knew her would have been... God, it would have been great.

"Oh, I'm sorry," he sarcastically said, "I had a busy week."

"What are you doing here, Fury?" Melora asked, putting down her notebook and standing up with her arms crossed over her chest. "I don't suppose this is a personal visit?"

"Agent Romanoff spoke as if you might be interested in getting back in the game," Fury said, finally getting to the point, and she ran her tongue along with her teeth, lightly rolling her eyes. "She thinks you're fit for the job."

"Are you referring to missions or your Avengers' dream again?" She asked, raising her eyebrows at him, and she watched as his jaw tensed, amusement quickly on her face.

"Becoming an active agent would put you higher on the call list," Fury said, still mad, but in truth, she still had influence. The amusement was now clear from her, only bothering him more.

"Well, I'll have to-" Her voice was interrupted as Fury's phone started ringing, and he instantly picked up the call. Rather rude in her opinion, but she also knew it meant there was an importance to it.

She walked over to her chair, grabbing her leather jacket still hanging there. A bit of a habit she had picked up through the years, jacket always on the chair when she got home.

"Okay," Fury quickly said and put the phone back in his pocket. "You're coming with me. Now." There was no anger or amusement in his voice, and she raised an eyebrow.

He walked straight out of the living room and Melora grabbed her keys, knowing when the time for jokes was, and it didn't seem to be now. A car was already out on the street, and the two of them were barely inside before they drove off, they were heading for the inner city.

"What's going on?" She asked, making a flower sprout from her palm and she began fiddling with it to keep herself busy.

"You read the report on Captain Rogers?" Fury asked, looking at her through the rear-view mirror as they drove closer to Manhattan. A path had already been cleared.

Of course, Melora had read the report on Steve. She had practically studied it and the hours she had spent next to his frozen body, reading poems, talking, sitting there and hoping he would wake up.

Her stomach dropped, what did Steve have to do with any of this? Surely...

"Of course," she said, her attention piqued.

"He's not so frozen any longer," Fury said as they rounded the corner, cars surrounded a large man standing there.

It was ridiculous. How ridiculous and strange to be surprised by anything which happens in life. She could not believe what she was seeing, and Fury stepped out of the car.