~89~

"I'm worried that she's gonna hate me," Taryn said from the bathroom as she did her hair.

"If Jules and I could work things out, I'm sure the two of you can," Shawn replied from the walk-in closet where he was getting dressed.

"It's a little different! You got divorced because of me."

"No, we got divorced because I couldn't stop loving you. That's hardly your fault."

Two days after Taryn arrived, Shawn invited Yaz to come over dinner and they'd arranged for Rosie to stay with Piper. He had to carefully navigate adding his girlfriend to the household he shared with his daughter, and a "family" meeting was a good starting point.

Taryn finished what she was doing and joined him. "I wouldn't blame her if she did hold it against me, but I hope we can get along for your sake as well as Piper's."

"Baby," he said as he wrapped his strong arms around her, "Yaz wants what's best for our daughter and she'll bend over backwards to make things work."

Half an hour later, Shawn greeted his ex-wife at the door. "Come on in. We're going to have wine and cheese on the patio to start."

"Sounds nice." She held out a bottle. "This is the last of our favorite white and I felt it was as good a time as any to have it."

He gave her a warm smile. "Thanks, Yaz."

Taryn walked out of the kitchen with the elaborate cheese board she'd prepared. "Hi, Yasmin. It's good to see you again."

The two women assessed each other. Yasmin was wearing a pair of pale blue palazzo pants with a white wrap top and looked effortlessly elegant. Her hair was pulled back into a tight bun while her makeup was dramatic. Taryn had opted for a more casual look with a short black t-shirt dress that Shawn used to tell her she looked sexy in when they were married. Her hair was down in loose curls, and she was wearing just a little mascara and lipstick because she found she appeared younger with the minimal look. They were as different as night and day, but each was beyond beautiful.

"I don't think any of us imagined this scenario when we had our surprise encounter on that fateful Christmas Eve, but here we are!" Yasmin said.

Taryn cringed internally at the mention of that time, since right afterward Shawn had cheated on his wife. It was hard to read her tone, so she glanced at Shawn to gauge his reaction. He seemed unbothered by it, which was a good sign.

"Let's go outside," he suggested. "I lit the gas fire pit since the sun will be setting soon."

Out on the patio, Taryn set the platter on the teak table and they each took a seat. Shawn opened the wine and poured three glasses. For several uncomfortable seconds they sat in silence.

"I'll break the ice by saying I'm a bit surprised by this turn of events." Yasmin turned to face Taryn. "Obviously I knew you two would get back together, but Shawn insisted that it would be a long-distance relationship. You've moved here permanently and you two will be living together?"

"It was hard being far apart, so yes, I opted to relocate to California."

"You understand that Piper will be here fifty percent of the time?" Yasmin asked.

"I do," Taryn said, resisting the urge to chug her wine and pour another glass.

"I hope you know what you're getting into. Life with a two year old can be hard. If you are living here, she'll be your responsibility, too."

Shawn cleared his throat. "Taryn understands that. She spent quite a bit of time with Piper when we were stuck in Chicago and saw how demanding parenthood can be."