~55~

Taryn walked over to one of the tables next to the huge warehouse windows. "I hope you enjoyed your drinks and wings. Here's your check."

Two of her day-shift employees called in sick, so she stepped in to wait tables. Since it was a weekday, it hadn't been particularly busy, especially during the dead period from two to three-thirty, which meant she was still able to get some of her other work done. She'd stay an extra hour or so after the evening crew showed up, but that was no big deal these days. Work was better than sitting alone at her house thinking about what could have been.

After the couple paid their bill and left, Taryn got a cleansing cloth and wiped down the wooden table. When she was done, she glanced out the window, which had a view of the parking lot. A familiar car pulled up next to employee entrance and idled there. She watched as Mina got out on the passenger side, blew a kiss to the driver, and walked towards the door.

This wouldn't have been particularly interesting, except for the fact that the car belonged to Jules.

When Mina arrived on the bar floor a few minutes later, Taryn gave her a wave but attempted a quick exit since she suddenly felt very weird about whatever was going on with her ex.

"Hold on a sec, boss!" her manager called out. "I wanted to talk to you about the schedule."

Taryn sighed to herself and approached Mina. "Does someone need to make a change?"

"Me, actually. I don't need a change, but I wanted to request a weekend off. I'm going on a little getaway to the mountains at the end of the month."

"That sounds fun. Just text me the dates and I'll make sure you're covered."

"I'm not really the outdoors type, but the person I'm going with loves it."

She hoped that her co-worker couldn't see how she was internally cringing. Mina had mentioned a few times that she was seeing someone, but now that she knew it was Jules, Taryn didn't want any more information.

"I'm going to my office. We were short-staffed today, but no one has called out for tonight. It's been pretty dead, too."

"Were you serving?" Mina nodded towards Taryn's apron.

"Yep. Nothing like getting back to my roots. When you cash out my account, divide my tips among today's day crew. I'll put the cash I got in the jar."

"Everything okay? You seem kind of off."

Taryn forced a smile. "Just tired. I'm not used to being on my feet so much."

Once she got to her office, she closed the door and plopped down behind her desk as she tried to navigate her feelings. Was she upset with Mina for dating Jules? Was she jealous? Was it wrong for her ex to get involved with someone close to her? Did her other employees know? Why hadn't Mina told her?

She opened up her laptop and started on the work she needed to get done, but a text from Patricia popped up on her phone interrupting her.

Do you have plans tonight?

There was no way her mom was making a lyric reference, but it still caused a lump to form in Taryn's throat.

Working until six.

Her mom sent another message.

Dinner?

She sent a thumbs up, and Tricia texted that she'd bring over the food around seven.

Taryn and her mom got together a couple times a week. Usually they had dinner, though sometimes they met for lunch if it was her day off. Occasionally they went to the movies or to some event downtown. This was the extent of her social life, and she was very thankful that she had Mama around to help keep her spirits up.