~27~

Ninety minutes into the drive to their mother-daughter getaway, Taryn and Patricia each had a large Tim Horton's coffee and were sharing an assorted box of Timbits while classic rock played over the speakers.

"Are you sure you can miss more work?" Tricia asked her daughter.

"Honestly, it was almost insulting how well my brewpubs did without me for the week I took off to go to Alaska and for the service. Mina has everything under control and is overseeing all the other locations. My managers will be checking in with me daily."

"You're very good at hiring competent people."

Taryn smiled at her mom, "I learned from the best."

"I might start working a shift or two at The GLL to help keep me busy. I miss Earl most at night, so it will help with that, too," Patricia said before popping a birthday cake Timbit in her mouth.

"That sounds like a good plan as long as you don't overwork yourself."

"Speaking of that, did Jules say he just worked four twelve hour shift days back to back? That seems like a lot!"

Taryn explained, "He chose that because then he gets three days off in a row."

She omitted that she worried that her fiancé was working a grueling schedule to avoid her. It was rather odd that his days off were when she'd be gone, when typically he tried to coordinate them with when she was home.

"You'd better eat some of these before I gobble them up," Tricia remarked as she reached for another donut hole. "I don't want to be one of those widows who lets herself go!"

"Stop that nonsense! You will always be the most adorable middle aged woman on earth!"

Patricia laughed loudly. "Girly...I am beyond middle aged! I might not be a senior citizen, but I'm gettin' close."

"And I'm right there behind you."

"Bullshit. The best years of your life are ahead of you!"

Taryn doubted that, but she wasn't going to get into it with her mom.

Before long, they arrived at the campsite. They were on a girls' "glamping" weekend which meant they were staying in a luxury cabin equipped with every extravagance imaginable. The campsite had a spa, and Taryn had booked numerous pampering experiences for the two of them. They checked in at the lodge and got the keys to their home for the next couple days.

"This is hardly a cabin!" Tricia exclaimed as she looked around after they let themselves in.

"Well it's made out of logs and it's in the woods, but it's definitely not rustic. This place is huge."

They took a self guided tour and selected their bedrooms before going to the kitchen. When Taryn opened the fridge, she saw that it was stocked with wine, beer, a cheese platter, French macarons, and some crudités.

"I bet that stuff costs a fortune," her mother commented.

"Nope. It's included. This is one of the many perks of high end camping. How about I crack open a bottle of Chardonnay and we can have some cheese and crackers by the fire."

"I'd love that. Thank you so much for treating me to this escape."

Taryn gave her mom a big hug. "I've wanted to spend some time alone with you for ages, though I feel a bit guilty that it took a tragedy to make it happen."

Ten minutes later they'd changed into pajamas, turned on the gas fireplace, and were munching on smoked Gouda while drinking white wine on the sofa.