~82~

Taryn and Shawn sat across from each other at her wooden kitchen table waiting for their beef stew to cool down, though the sexual tension between them was much hotter than what was in their bowls.

Patricia brought over a basket of warm bread and let out an exaggerated yawn. "I'm pooped! I think I'll turn in early tonight and watch a movie on my fancy new iPad. I was able to get the tiny ear thingies working today."

"They're called AirPods," Taryn reminded her, "and they've been around forever."

"I just hope I don't lose one."

"I've lost at least a hundred," Shawn said offhandedly.

Tricia wagged a finger. "That's rather wasteful of you!"

"I guess it is. I should try to go the whole year with the same pair. Maybe that can be a late New Year's resolution."

Taryn tasted her soup and found that it was no longer scalding hot. "What are you going to watch tonight, Mama?"

"Probably a documentary. If it's good, I'll learn about something new; if it's bad, it'll put me to sleep. I win either way." She walked towards the door. "Enjoy your dinner."

"Thanks! It's delicious," Shawn told her appreciatively. Now that he lived on his own, he no longer had a personal chef. He made an effort to cook healthy meals when Piper was with him, but when he was alone he ate far too many frozen foods. The hearty homemade stew was heavenly.

After Tricia left, the couple gobbled up their dinner in a matter of minutes and then worked together to quickly wash the dishes. Once the kitchen was clean, Taryn took Shawn by the hand and led him to the living room where a fire was burning. Hen was sound asleep on one end of the couch, so they had to sit close together on the unoccupied half.

Taryn rested her head against his chest and felt herself relax for the first time all day. He had one arm wrapped around her so that he could gently rub her back while his other hand held hers.

"Our fingers fit together so perfectly," he observed.

"My hand is much smaller."

"That's what makes it feel right when we lace them together. It's never felt like this with anyone else. You feel right in my arms, too."

She tilted her head and smiled up at him. "Okay, Goldilocks."

"You don't agree?"

"I think it feels right because we're with the right person. It isn't that either of us is the correct shape or size; it's all about the emotional connection."

He kissed her tenderly on the forehead. "Is that why the sex is always so good, too?"

"Of course."

"I like to think that we fit together physically in an almost magical way. Like Cinderella's foot in the glass slipper."

She tickled his ribs playfully. "I'm not sure how I feel about that analogy!"

"No? Because I'm getting pretty excited thinking about slipping inside that shoe of yours."

"Ew!" she said with a giggle. "You need to stop!"

"Once I try you on and see that you fit, I'll know you are the one destined to be my queen."

Taryn climbed on his lap so that she was straddling him. "You're ridiculous."

"And you love it."

"I do," she said before leaning forward to kiss him softly on the lips. "I love you."

He kissed her deeply. "I love you."