~18~

Shawn noticed that the neon four leaf clover he'd given Tricia as a gift was still working perfectly as he walked towards the door of The Good Luck Lounge like he had hundreds of times before. This time was very different, of course, and he was aware of how out of place he now felt as he crossed the threshold into the bar.

Directly at the back of the room stood Patricia and Taryn, who were both engaged in a conversation with an older woman. Tricia looked exactly as she always did with her short spiky gray and pink hair, but her daughter did not. She was still stunningly beautiful, yet her grief showed on her face and she appeared to be exhausted.

"I'm going to go say hello to them," his mum said softly from his side.

"Piper is hungry, so I might find a table and give her a snack first. I'd hate for her to start crying."

His family headed in one direction while he went in the other after grabbing one of the two wooden high chairs Patricia purchased after the bar started focusing on food many years ago. He placed his daughter in the seat and secured the belt before undoing the buttons on his suit jacket and sitting down. Then Shawn opened up the diaper bag and retrieved a bib, some rice puffs, and a bottle of water, which he poured into her sippy cup.

"Mmmm!" Piper hummed as she wiggled her little hands in anticipation.

"You're hungry, aren't you? I've got some baby food if this isn't enough." He'd made sure he was overly prepared for their trip.

As she fed herself from a plastic bowl, he looked around the room. He recognized several of Taryn's employees working behind the bar and carrying trays of food. Some of Tricia's staff were among the guests, but he suspected no one would try to strike up a conversation with him since their loyalties were with Taryn. After a bit, Tom and EJ spotted him and walked over.

"Nice to see you, Shawn," EJ said as they shook hands.

"I'm so sorry for your loss," he told them both. "Your dad was an amazing man."

"Thank you. It's been a horrible week," Tom said. "Your daughter is adorable. Is your wife here?"

"Yasmin is working in Paris, but she sends her condolences."

Tom and EJ nodded, and a few seconds later Mariah joined them with a squirming toddler in her arms.

"Look, Gregor! It's another baby!" she said as she sat down next to Piper.

"Hi, Mariah. You did a beautiful job at the service," Shawn told her. "I loved what you said about love being eternal and how even after someone is gone, we can still feel their love inside us."

She smiled. "Thank you. I believe that the people we love become a part of our souls. This is totally off topic, but you don't happen to have another sippy cup, do you? Debbie left Gregor's at the church and all the cups here are glass."

He reached into the diaper bag and pulled one out. "Here you go. If he wants some snacks, I've got enough for a dozen babies."

"You are a lifesaver!"

EJ and Tom excused themselves to get some food, and Mariah and Shawn chatted for a bit about their babies' development until his family came over.

Mariah stood up after warmly greeting them. "I need to talk to the other guests, but it was nice catching up with you."

"Stop back if Gregor needs anything," he told her before she left.

"I'm going to go get us some drinks," Manny said and Jordan offered to help.

Once they were gone, Aaliyah sat down and leaned towards her brother. "I know it's hard, but you should go talk to Patricia and Taryn."

"Tricia asked if you were here," his mum added. "I guess they didn't see you come in. She's so glad you came to the service."