18

Arthur stood looking hopefully at Merlin for some kind of response.

The warlock's heart was beating a bit faster than normal. His emotions were so out of place some artifacts in the room started floating. One even hit Gwaine.

He didn't know what he was doing but his legs moved. He was about to walk out his room and out to where Arthur stood when Gwaine grabbed his arm. "Are you going to him?"

Merlin blinked, surprised of what he was about to do without thinking. "I-uh. Well he—" Gwaine held both of his best friend's shoulders. "Nope! No way. You're not going out there just like that" the knight said. "But-"
"Nope"
"He's out-"
"No. Remember the plan"

Right. Thought Merlin.

~Earlier that day~

"What has you smiling like that?" Merlin was startled out of his little daydream by none other than Sir Gwaine. The knight leaned against the prince's desk eating an apple and looked around the room. "And what's with the candles?"

The warlock had rearranged the candles to be just as they were the previous night, without them being a fire hazard of course, and had been reading over Arthur's letter instead of the royal papers on his desk. He was so immersed in his thoughts he completely missed Gwaine's arrival.

"Eh- they look nice?"
The long haired man didn't seem convinced. "What's that?" Gwaine pointed at the letter in Merlin's hands. "What's what?" The other asked while hiding the letter behind his back. "You think I didn't see you? That letter you just hid behind you!" He grinned rounding the desk. Merlin quickly got to his feet still holding the letter behind his back. "What letter?"
Gwaine charges towards Merlin with mischief in his eyes trying to get hold of the letter. Both struggled for a bit until one lost footing making both fall. Taking advantage of the situation, Gwaine quickly grabbed the letter. "Dear MerlIINNNN—" the knight started reading but a pair of golden eyes had him hanging upside down in seconds.

Merlin snatched the letter away. "No fair!" Gwaine pouted while hanging trying to squirm away but to no avail. "This is none of your business, Gwaine. I'll se you later" the prince, still with golden eyes, floated the knight out of his chambers. "Merlin my buddy, come on! You can't leave your best friend like this"

Hey guys, just posting what I got so far