10

It's been a bit. I should be doing math, bye!

They walked back to the castle after breakfast in mostly comfortable silence.

Arthur was giving taking Merlin back with him more and more thought. Maybe it could work. Maybe he could hide him from him father. Then realization hit. Merlin's from a an enemy kingdom and possessed magic. He smacked himself on the face making Merlin look at him curious but Arthur ignored him. How could he forget Merlin probably hates Camelot with a passion. Still he asked.

"Um, Merlin?"
"Yeah?"

Arthur stopped walking making Merlin stop as well and turn to him directly. Arthur was fiddling with his hands nervously. "Well I was curious... what do you think of Camelot?" Merlin looked at his in surprise. He hadn't expected that.

The blonde thought he would immediately tell him how horrible of a place it was but to his surprise, Merlin seemed to frown in concentration. After a minute or two Merlin looked back up looking at his curiously. "Well... I hate the way the king rules and how innocent magical being gets slaughtered for no reason....."—he stopped and seemed to be thinking on how to continue. Arthur hung his head. Of course he would never agree to go. "But–" the blonde looked back up in hope. "I have friends there. Some are even knights. I know a few peasants too. Not everyone really agrees with their laws and that gladdens me."

Now Arthur's surprised. "You've been to Camelot?!" Does this mean he's seen Arthur before? The blonde's always made it obvious to everyone he was the prince and shouldn't be messed with. "Yes but not frequently, I'm not exactly suicidal." Merlin laughed.

"I tend to visit my uncle that works for the royal family. Actually, I first met a friend of mine when I got lost in the castle" Arthur's eyes were wide by now, "you've been inside the castle and you're not dead yet?"

Merlin glared at him slightly, "oh please, Camelot's security is a joke. Plus I'm always careful, no matter what my uncle or you say."
"Careful? You literally showed me your magic yesterday. To me. A complete stranger!"

"Well this isn't Camelot! Magic isn't illegal or punishable by death" Arthur had to nod in understanding. "Okay but why do you claim Camelot's security is a joke?" He said it with a playful tone but he was actually curious. Did all kingdoms assume Camelot's guards and security system was weak?

"Well... their dungeons aren't the most guarded. A few sorcerers and druids have been able to escape execution and go back to their camps or here in Anglia." Arthur nodded, he knew many prisoners have escaped before earning him several angry shouts from his father.

"Why the sudden question though?" Asked Merlin. Arthur snapped his head towards him "Uhm.. um... just curious really"
"I see"

"Yeah..... well since we're on the subject. Have you ever met the prince from Camelot? You said you've been to the castle" Arthur kept walking but tried to sneak a glance at Merlin. Does he know I am the prince after all?

Merlin shook his head no. "Nah. I've seen the king but never the prince. Although I think that's a good thing, he sounds like a prat". Arthur frowned, "what makes you say that if you've never met him?". He was relieved Merlin hadn't known who he was but still very much offended. "Well 'Gana's always talking about his enormous ego and how selfish he is" Merlin said while laughing completely oblivious of the blonde's scowl. "Oh is that so? Who's Gana?"

"Oh. She's my friend from Camelot". Arthur's gears were turning. It couldn't be. Arthur dared to ask. "Are you referring to the king's ward Morgana?"

Merlin stopped smiling for a bit. Should I tell him? Will she be safe? Merlin thought about whether or not to tell the blonde but then decided that even if he did tell anyone else, they probably wouldn't believe him if he said the king's ward of Camelot is friends with sorcerers.

"Yes. Morgana is a good friend of mine"
Arthur didn't know how to feel. "I see"

"Yup. Look, we're here" they stood in one of the castle's yards.

The pair turned towards each other in silence. Both turned pink in the face while looking at the other's eyes. Merlin spoke first. "I had a great time. Even if I spent it with a prat". Arthur smiled at him leaning a bit closer, eyes switching between making eye contact with the raven head and his lips. "I had a good time too, even if it was with an idiot". Merlin gave a small smile and got closer as well and soon enough both princes were kissing the other tenderly.

They were having a nice private moment that made both feel butterflies in their stomach and neck hair stand up.

Then unwanted guests came. Both the knights of Camelot and Anglia along with Morgana and Gwen came running their way all shouting "Sire!!!"