15

"Goodnight!" and "I'm sure you'll love what you'll find" Said the girls as Merlin was leaving Morgana's guest chambers. What have they done to my room? He asked himself making his way there after being dragged to eat some cake Gwen had prepared.
They had been acting suspicious the whole time and completely changed the subject on him when he mentioned his reason for being held there. The sky was darker than he last seen it and the silence in the castle, letting nature's song be heard, informed Merlin how late it was. Picking up his step, he advanced towards his chambers.

Once in front of the door, he stopped and tried to sense any danger. He really hoped it wasn't a prank, he was tired. Cautiously opening the door he was met with light pooling from the room. He doesn't remember leaving any candles on before going to Gwaine's.
The poor prince gasped and took in the scene before him. Who did this?! Are they trying to kill me?!
It seemed as if someone had taken all the candles from the room (which is a prince's huge chambers, meaning a lot) and clumped them all together in the middle of the room, trailing towards his work desk that held mountains of paper. It was a fire hazard!

He used his magic to move the candles to their rightful place and blew out the unnecessary ones. Looking at the now candle-free floor, he noticed flowers. They were wild flowers that looked like they've seen better days. Merlin couldn't decide whether a five year old or a psycho had planted them in his room.

Sighing, he moved towards his desk. "Is this what they were so excited about?" He whispered to himself when an envelope caught his eye. That wasn't there before. Just as he lifted the letter something fell out in front of his boots. Looking down he released a small gasp. It couldn't be. He saw a red mask. One that brought him back to the night of his 20th birthday.

Shaking his head he picked it up, "there's no way it's his. He's back in Camelot, Merlin". He looked at the mask for a few seconds more before moving to the letter.

He found a handwriting he wasn't familiar with.

Dear Merlin,

Hi. I just want to start of saying, I'm sorry. I would want to start over from zero but that would mean forgetting the fun we had during the ball. And I never want to forget the "clotpole" that kissed me for a dare and refused to play the girl role during La Volt.
You probably hate me and never want to see me again but I won't let that happen! I fell for your blue and sometimes golden eyes, annoying lovable personality, and your made up insults. I will win you back!

(PS: This is Arthur)
(PPS: please don't send your dragon on me)

Merlin stared at the letter blankly after reading. Arthur's here? His heart started to beat faster against his will. Does this mean he actually likes me to? A small voice in his head suggested it could be a trap but his hopeful self ignored it.
He smiled back at the red mask in his hand and then a thought struck him. ARTHUR'S THE ONE RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS MESS! He thought while looking at the brittle flowers and candles that littered his floor not long ago. The raven head couldn't help but laugh. "He really is a clotpole".

The prince closed the letter and placed it safely inside a drawer along with the mask. He then got ready for bed and smiled himself asleep.
Gwaine's gonna kill Arthur if he sees him. Was one of Merlin's last thoughts as he remembered his friends reaction to the Blonde while they were drinking.

It's my bday on Thursday! Man, my 20s are starting out lame.

Short chapter but look at a Merlin/Tangled Perwaine fanart I did a while back! owo