16

Arthur had woken up around mid day, he never was a morning person, he had stayed in the same tavern inn from his last visit to Anglia. Thoughts of what Merlin had thought of his letter plagued his mind. He was meant to meet Morgana and Gwen later today for his next step in getting Merlin to like him.
For now, however, he decided to walk around town. It was an odd experience for him. There was magic happening everywhere, children were playing with magic, some used it in construction, he could even see healers using magic in their little clinics. It was... peaceful.

Arthur wondered for hours until he bumped into someone. He was about to apologize until he saw their full face, "Sir Leon?" The knight's face showed his surprise, he hadn't expected to find the prince so soon. "My Lord!" Arthur could see Elyan and Percival not far behind. "What are you doing here?" The blonde asked and other three men looked at each other, "Well..."

Couple of days ago

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN HE ESCAPED?!" The king's resounding shouts could be heard all throughout the kingdom. The guards that had just delivered the news of the prince's disappearance to the king where trembling in their boots. "W-we believe h-he had help, Sire" one reported avoiding eye contact. They were in the council chambers, some of Uther's advisors and knights were there. Leon being one of them. Sighing and sinking into his chair, the king dismissed them, "Leave". The guards didn't hesitate and soon they were gone.

One of the old council members spoke up, "what's exactly happened with the prince, Sire?" Uther looked more irritated, "just the foolishness that comes with youth". The men frowned. Another spoke up, "the crown prince has never defied you in such a way, My Lord. Could it be an enchantment?" At that murmurs erupted from the council. The king's eyes hardened, "it is not, I have seen to it myself". The chatter still didn't end bitting at Uther's patience. The man eventually put his head on his gloves hand, "I wish Gaius could advise me on this matter". As if not detecting the king's lack of patience, another spoke. "That's because you sent him on vacation! He's the court physician! His place is here, Sire" and the man lectured on and on.

Leon seemed to be the only one noticing the king's state and decided to speak. "How about I take a few of my men and search for prince, My Lord?" Uther shook his head, he had thought about it before after all. "No. He left willingly after all. He would just avoid the patrol". The council members looked confused, none of them where informed as to why the prince had been locked away or why he ran away. The king was ready to dismiss the council when Leon continued. "Then, how about we look after the prince. To make sure he's safe, considering where he went". The kings eyes narrowed.

"Council's dismissed. Sir Leon, stay" the older Pendragon said coldly and soon everyone was scrambling away. Whether from fear or just pure boredom, who knew?

To say Leon was a little bit scared was an understatement. Had he found out he helped the prince escape? His panic was only internal however, he was stoned faced in front of the King. Uther sat in his chair staring at the knight with an unreadable expression. Eventually he sighed closing his eyes and leaning back into the head rest. "So you're aware of my son's infatuation with... with that sorcerer" Leon was confused at the king's lack of anger, he sounded... exhausted. "Sire?" Uther opened his eyes, still leaning back, "I am not heartless nor blind. Arthur has never defied me. I still find it foolish, but I know he really must like that prince". Leon couldn't believe his eyes, it was like the ruthless King he saw everyday had dropped his mask right in front of him.
As soon as the mask was down it came back on. Uther's head snapped forward, his expression schooled and eyes fierce. "I trust you know he's headed to Anglia", once the knight nodded he continued, "take a few of your men and keep him safe. I hope I don't have to remind you to not speak about or conversation." The king then silently dismissed him. "My Lord" Leon bowed and left the council chambers.

Yes, I made a nice-ish Uther.