14. the morning after

ابدأ من البداية

"Of course." He said, smiling at her curled up figure on the couch, before leaving, making sure the door was locked behind him before he made his way to the heart of the town.

Steve's diner was packed. It had barley been open for half an hour, but every table and booth was filled, and a queue was beginning to form outside the door.

The town had gathered that this was the only half decent place in town to get a meal, so everyone turned to the diner for their food when they didn't want to cook.

Lovestruck teenagers on weekend dates tucked themselves away in corner booths, sharing milkshakes despite it being early in the morning, Bucky assumed people just wanted to make the most of their day, some elderly couples sat with their breakfast rolls, and families who had taken their kids out for a weekend treat filled many of the tables, Steve and his very few staff being completely run off their feet cooking up all of the pancakes to satisfy the children.

"Excuse me... Sorry... Could I get past, please?" Bucky tried to push his way through the small crowd outside the diner.

He has never seen it this busy before.

When he got inside it was even worse. He thought it looked busy from outside of the window, but as soon as he set foot inside the noise was astronomical for a small town diner.

Steve looked relived to see his best friend walk through the doors of his establishment.

"Give this to table four." Was the first words that Steve spoke to Bucky, handing him two plates, each filled with scrambled egg, toast and bacon.

Bucky just gave him a weird look, before scanning the room to find table four.

He eventually found it, and sat was an older couple, maybe in their late sixties, along with a younger boy, only around four or five, who he assumed was their grandchild.

"Uh, here you go." Bucky said, sitting the plates down in front of the two adults.

"We ordered a banana muffin, also." The woman stated to Bucky, "And a strawberry milkshake."

Bucky noticed the young child staring up at him.

Absolutely terrifying.

Children scared the living hell out of him.

"Yeah, uh. I'll go see about that." Bucky said, gesturing towards Steve, before quickly walking away again.

Steves eyebrows raised at Buckys stressed look on his face, handing a mug of coffee to a customer, before approaching Bucky once again.

"That table uh- Want a strawberry muffin and a banana milkshake. WAIT NO, a banana muffin and a strawberry milkshake."

"Oh- Right."

Steve scurried off to plate a banana muffin, and managed to get a strawberry milkshake from the kitchen, before handing it to the boy at the table, who had been waiting for his breakfast the whole time.

A stool finally freed up at the counter, so Bucky quickly took a seat at it, probably pissing off all of the people queuing up outside.

"I've never seen it this busy before." Bucky said, nodding towards the family's waiting outside for a table to free up.

"Yeah uh, Phil Coulson? You know him, the older guy who owns the cafe at the bottom of town?"

Phil Coulson was the only real competition Steve had when it came to food in the town, but most people preferred to go to Steve's diner anyways, especially the younger generations.