21 The choice was made

Mai and Mái started to cry again, thinking this kind white boy who had saved their lives had died protecting them. Then they were lifted and placed on two puffy floating clouds of cotton. "Fuck-", "is he dead?", "Damn-" The scene was bloody. Spikes protruded from his legs like he'd been skewered, the other parts of his body had fared better but were not unharmed. "Wait a moment, there's not a scratch on them" Asta said, resting a hand on each of the twin's heads. Secre removed his body from the magical spikes after Asta dispelled the magic put on them with his sword, Killua was placed on a stretcher made of Charmy's cotton magic as well. "Finral, take us to the hideout's recovery room" Captain Yami ordered. His eyes narrowed slightly, wondering why he hadn't used his magic to save himself. Unless... he couldn't.

As Finral transported them back to the hideout, Killua was placed on a plain white bed in a dark but sterile room. Charmy, Asta, Noelle, Magna, and Secre gathered around. "Who's the best at healing magic?" Captain Yami said. Secre stepped forward, placing a hand on Killua's chest. "Sealing Magic, Closed Sorrow" Her magic lit up the room for a few seconds, then her eyes widened. "I-Its..." Killua's condition hadn't changed. "He's not healing!" Asta gasped. "W-Wait, like my arms? Is it curse magic?" Secre's eyes narrowed and she shook her head. "No, this is different" She opened a drawer attached to the underside of the bed. "It's not that it can't be healed, it's that recovery magic won't work" Suddenly there was another portal, and 5 kids were escorted in by Finral. "Alright I got the-" He was cut off by a gasp. "Killua!" Pyr ran to the bedside, and Asta put a hand on her shoulder. "Hey, you need to-"

She shoved his hand off her and put one of her own to her mouth, "W-Why aren't you healing him!" Noelle sighed. "The spikes were cursed, recovery magic isn't working-" Secre finished bandaging up his wounds, then took a step back. "All we can do for now is...wait until he wakes up" Mai and Mái clutched each other's hands, and suddenly Asta's eyes snapped over to them. "Oh! You guys! You were there right?" He walked over and put a hand on Mai's head. "Could you tell us what happened?" Mái wiped her eyes. "W-We were going across the cliff when he whistled and you guys came" Mai sniffled a little. "And then I started to fall. H-He jumped a-after me and-" Yami's eyes narrowed. "Killua can't fly on a broom"

Mái walked over and put a hand on the sheets next to Killua's head. "W-When we fell" Mái continued. "He s-said everything was gonna be fine. That no matter what happened, we'd be safe" Mai came up beside her and wrapped an arm around her sister's side. "A-And when he landed...he didn't stop smiling. He t-took t-this robe out of his bag and sang this song" Mái's eyes stung with tears. "H-He didn't stop until he closed his eyes, a-and he healed all our scratches" Mai shoved her face into Mái's shoulder. "H-He didn't e-even try to save h-himself" as Secre was listening, she couldn't help but think that she'd made a grave mistake. By sealing in his emotions, did I seal in his fear and self-preservation? She placed a hand on his chest, and released the seal. "What are you doing?" Yami asked. She sighed. "Before he went to get captured, I had come across him having some sort of... it's hard to explain" She removed her hand, it really wasn't her place to tell but they needed an explanation. It was her fault after all.

"I think it was a panic attack, he couldn't stop worrying about a friend back home" A few of the bull's members started murmuring to each other. "A new spell came to my grimoire, a spell that could... seal emotions" Asta's eyes widened. "I didn't think that was possible" She nodded. "I am simply releasing the seal. I think... I think it might have had a part to play in his reckless selflessness" Pyr inhaled sharply, then clenched her fist a little. "Talk about one hell of a first mission "Captain Yami said.

Killua's eyes opened and he caught sight of something. It was a figure with long black hair. Alluka! Killua sat up, then wrapped his arms around said figure. "He's awake!" Then his surroundings came back to him. Oh... Killua moved Mai closer to him as well, he had Mái already in his arms. "The hell's wrong with you kid?" He blinked, then turned his monotone expression over to Captain Yami. He blinked. "Excuse me?" His eyes narrowed slightly, the few people in the room with them had fallen silent. "Jumping off the side of a cliff despite not knowing how to fly?" He reached down to dry Mai's tears gently with a hand. "I do not regret my actions" Then he blinked, realizing that he was still in pain. "Is there a reason I'm not healed?" Nero nodded. "The spikes had curse magic placed on them, your wounds can't be healed with recovery magic. I'm surprised you can sit up actually" He looked back down at the twins, then spoke. "Very well" Asta finally said something. "What the heck! You're in intense pain right now because you didn't use defensive magic!"

Killua shook his head. "Where I come from, your alone" He said, stroking Mái's hair. "Nobody will save you, nobody will help you. You have to deal with what your given." Mái sobbed a little and clutched at his arm. "B-But you got hurt so bad!" He let his eyes soften, just a little. "If I knew what was at the bottom, if I was on the other side of the cliff, you know what I'd have done?" They both looked up at him, and he let a small smile grace his face. "I still would've jumped" and that was true. "I believe it was a reaction to my sealing magic-" Killua shook his head at Nero's words. "It doesn't block emotions, it dampens them." He reached for his bag, then slipped out a photo. Killua gently removed both heads from him and lifted the twins into his lap. "Here" he murmured, then rested the picture in his lap between them. It was one he'd drawn himself, and it held a deep meaning to him.

 It was one he'd drawn himself, and it held a deep meaning to him

Mái placed a hand on the side of the picture, then Mai spoke. "Who's they?" Killua sighed. "Alluka" He murmured, resting a finger on the left side of the picture. "And Nanika" He said, moving it to the left. Nanika and Alluka are not the same person. They may share a body, but they are both my sisters. He hummed the song again, soft and soothing. You are safe in big brother's arms. That was essentially what the words meant. By the time he had gotten to the last verse, Mai and Mái were sleep. He slipped the picture back into his bag, then lay both girls down on the cleanest part of the sheet. "Never thought he'd be good with kids" Finral muttered. He shot a dark look at him, making him gulp and take a step back. "Shh, their sleeping"

1241 words

To be continued...