18

SYDNEY POV

It was early, only around 9:30. I'd heard Clay get up 7:00 and go downstairs, but I hadn't mentioned it. I didn't really care if he was telling the boys, but I would have liked some form of heads up so I'd at least not be so self-conscious about the looks they were giving each other. Leaving me to wonder was far worse. 

I wanted to be able to tell Mina and Catherine what was going on if he was telling his friends. I also tried to be rational: the three of us girls had essentially forced our way in his house, probably with very little excitement and approval from him, and he'd barely been able to spend any time just with them because we were always hanging around. I tried to focus on that as the explanation.

There was nothing on our agenda today, so we were all lounging on the couch, shooting off ideas for something to do. "We could go to the beach, finally?" Nick asked. I couldn't tell if he was actually looking at me funny or if I was just being paranoid.

"Why don't we hang out here by the pool so we don't have to drive that far?" Clay offered. "I have like two thirty racks in the fridge in the garage."

"I'll accept that trade, only because you have beer," Nick relented. His arm fell around Mina's shoulders, and she leaned into it.

"Can we go out there now?" George asked, lifting his head from its spot on Catherine's lap.

"It's like 9:30, George," Clay laughed. "Are you an alcoholic? Did Nick and I finally get our claws into you?"

"I'm on vacation, baby!" He yelled, sitting up a little. "If I want to drink all day that's my business."

"Fine, let's go I guess," Clay grumbled. "Syd, can you help me with the beer? You're probably stronger than Nick and George put together. No offense, guys."

"Yeah," I said, standing up with him. "You guys go get ready, we'll meet you in the backyard in a few."

Everyone else basically ran up the stairs to go get their bathing suits on, and Clay and I made our way to the garage. "We need to do a hickey check," he said, as soon as we closed the door behind us. "We might have just walked ourselves into a bit of a mess." His fingers ran along the neckline of my shirt, pulling it down gently.

"What's the verdict?" I asked, trying not to get turned on. His fingers anywhere near my neck sent me into such a dizzying state and I felt like some little southern belle talking to a man for the first time in her life. With anyone else, I would've felt pathetic, but I could tell he felt the same way around me at times. "Am I clear?"

"Somehow, yeah," he laughed, letting my shirt go. "Are the bruises on your hips still there?" I lifted my shirt and pulled down my shorts a little, doing a spin for him to check. "Are you a vampire or something, how did these disappear so quickly?" He reached out to run his fingers along my hip bones that had previously been littered in bruises that matched his fingertips perfectly. 

"If I sparkle in the sun by the pool, I guess you'll have your answer," I smirked, kissing him softly, my hands on his chest.

"Syd, you're pushing it," he laughed a little, "I'm already going to have to be tortured by seeing you out there in your bathing suit and I won't be able to do a damn thing about it." He grabbed one of the cases of beer and handed me the other. 

I was grateful I still had some muscle from my soccer days because this shit was heavy. I somehow managed to open the door, and stepped back into the house. "We should go back inside, they're going to think we're fucking out here," I whispered with a wink.

We brought the two cases out to the backyard, shoving as many as we could into the mini-fridge. The others came trotting out soon after, clad in their bathing suits and sunglasses. The girls were in the matching bathing suits we all had. Mina was in red, Catherine in blue, and I had it in black. I was glad I'd brought that one, though I had originally envisioned myself wearing it in Miami. Miami seemed lamer and lamer by the day, but I would never admit that to the girls. I hoped they wouldn't bring it up so I wouldn't have to find a way to get out of going so I could stay with Clay.