26

CLAY POV

I woke up with Sydney still on top of me, her head pressed into my neck. I was sad that the girls were leaving early in the morning tomorrow, even though I knew I'd see her again in less than two weeks. To be completely honest, I wasn't sure how being away from each other would pan out. I was scared we'd go right back to the way we were before -- and that was the last thing I wanted. I knew it was way, way too soon to be thinking like this, but I really could see myself being with her for the rest of my life. I'd never wanted anything more in my entire life than to be with her for the rest of forever. 

My mom had finally sent me the photos from the wedding, and Sydney looked so beautiful in all of them -- especially the ones she didn't know were being taken. There were a few where I was just staring at her as if I'd never seen such a thing in my life, but it didn't even embarrass me as much as it probably should have. I really had never seen such a thing in my life. I couldn't believe that a girl like that was with someone like me. She was the kind of girl you saw one time and thought about for the rest of your life, regretting that you never said anything to her. She was the kind of girl that men used to start wars for, and yet somehow she was with me.

"How long have you been up?" She mumbled, lifting her head and rubbing her eyes. She looked so cute in the morning with her messy hair and her heavy eyes, a groggy confusion taking over her features.

"Only like ten minutes," I said. She tried to blow some hair out of her face but was unsuccessful. I gathered her hair in my hands and moved it out of the way, before cupping her face with my hand. "Are you feeling any better? I felt so bad for you last night, I'm so sorry."

"A little," she nodded, leaning her cheek into the palm of my hand. It made me want to scream. "The cramps are always worse at night, which is a blessing and a curse."

"You'll be back in your own bed tomorrow night, if that makes you feel any better," I said, running my thumb across her cheek. "It might help a little bit."

"No, that doesn't make me feel better," she laughed, shaking her head slightly. "It makes me feel worse. I'm not ready to go back home, which I definitely did not think I'd be saying before this trip started. What the fuck did you do to me, Clay?"

"I'm not looking forward to the little break either," I said. It made me feel better that she wasn't exactly pleased about having to go home. "I know it's only like two weeks, but still. I'm really going to miss you... I could barely even handle the eight hours we spent not speaking on this trip."

"I'm going to miss you too," she smiled, "but I am excited for you to see my house and New Orleans." She pressed a kiss to my jaw, then tried to crawl off of me, but I held her in her place.

"Just one more minute, please," I laughed, and she relented, cuddling up closer to me. I wanted to stay like this forever, but I knew that wasn't an option. "Your hair smells so fucking good. I literally want to eat whatever you use."

"You can use my stuff if you want," she offered, her finger tracing along my collarbone. It almost gave me goosebumps. "You too can smell like banana candy if you so desire. And, technically, I think you could probably eat it if you really wanted to. It's some all-natural stuff that costs a fucking fortune. My hair stuff is probably my largest expense, to be honest. It costs to look like this, you know."

"I think you should be the only person in the world who is allowed to use whatever the hell it is you use," I laughed. "It's like the scent was made for you and only you. If I ever caught a whiff of it somewhere else and you weren't the source, I'd feel so betrayed by the universe. You're the banana candy queen, Squid. Long live Queen Squid."

"I want you to be the banana candy king," she teased, squeezing me tightly. That was my favorite feeling in the world. There truly was nothing better. "Can we get up now? The banana candy queen requires a tampon and some coffee, STAT."