9

SYDNEY POV

The trip to the store went a lot smoother than I was anticipating. Clay did talk to me a lot more than he said he would but, for the most part, his comments were jokes about the two couples we had left back at the house. It was hard to admit, but he was actually pretty funny sometimes. At one point, he even helped an old lady reach something on a high shelf, which threw me off a little. So he could be nice, he just couldn't be nice to me? The lady put her hand on Clay's arm and thanked him before looking to me, "such a sweet and handsome boy, you better marry this one!"

"Aw, babe, did you hear that?" He asked loud enough for her to still hear as she walked away, "you should marry me because I'm so sweet and handsome!" 

"If only she knew how untrue the 'sweet' part is!" I elbowed him in the ribs and walked us to the checkout.

"Oh, but the 'handsome' part is true?" He looked at me with an evil smirk on his face that I wanted to punch away.

"Shut up, dude," I elbowed him again. "You know you're hot, and you know that I know that you're hot. Doesn't make me dislike you any less though."

"Hey, you stole my line!" He laughed, "and you know what, Squid? I'm starting to realize you're really not as bad as I thought you were. You still need to work on that attitude though, then maybe we could be besties."

"Together forever," I teased.

After bickering about who was going to pay at the store and yelling at each other in the car over Clay's questionable driving skills, we finally made it back home and started lugging the bags in. Clay had bought a lot of alcohol, and I had resigned to my role as a chef for the next few days, so we had a lot of trips to make. Clay was insistent that he could bring everything in one trip but failed miserably. As soon as they heard me teasing Clay about dropping a bag and nearly tripping over it, everyone came to help us put things away.

"So when are we drinking?" Mina asked, grabbing a bottle of vodka. 

"We should probably wait until it's at least past noon, Min," I laughed, pointing to the clock. The store was busy, so it took us a long time to get in and out. It was 11:15 now, and I figured we should try to be respectable adults and wait until it was no longer 'the morning'.

"Lame," Clay said, "let's drink, Mina." 

"Hell yeah, let's drink guys!" Catherine said, pulling out the cups. 

"Fuck it, let's drink." I relented, and everyone cheered.

George and Catherine put ice in all of the cups and opened up the vodka. George had some of the heaviest pours I've ever seen, and I started to get a little nervous about how the rest of the day was going to go. At that rate, we'd be blacked out by sundown. They passed each of us the cup to add our own mixers into. I reached for the juice and hit Clay's hand as I did. I was surprised when he let me take it first. I didn't add much, just enough to take away some of the burn of the vodka, and I was a little surprised when he did the same.

"I'm kind of a tank," I laughed, taking a sip.

"Me too," he smiled. "Might be a little bit sadistic but I kind of like when it literally hurts to drink it."

"Daddy Dream likes to be dominated by his alcohol?" everyone laughed, which made me realize that they had probably seen the entirety of our interaction. They only seemed to be watching when Clay was actually being nice, never when he was being his usual asshole self. I could tell that me calling him that made his ego even bigger than it was before, so I made a mental note to avoid calling him that ever again.