20

DREAM POV

Thankfully the car ride was quick and we pulled into the venue parking lot shortly after. I helped Sydney get out of the car, kissing her quickly. My mom looked like she wanted to jump up and down and scream. I was surprised she didn't pull out her camera and document it.

"Okay, the ceremony should be quick, then we're ready to party!" My dad said, fixing his tie a little before we walked in. "Sydney, I married into this family mostly because of these weddings, so hopefully you have fun." I was so embarrassed I wanted to scream. I worried we were a little over-dressed, but everyone inside was pretty fancy too. We sat up near the front with the rest of my family and exchanged some brief greetings. I could tell my family was just as blown away by Sydney as I was, even though they'd hardly even met her. Some of my male cousins were giving me a thumbs-up as soon as she turned her back and I wanted to punch them for even looking at her.

Before we could get too deep into conversation, the ceremony began. Sydney and Ava sat there clutching each other's hands, trying to fight tears as the vows were being exchanged. My mom kept giving me looks which I assumed were meant to point out that my sister loved Sydney. Ava had hated every single girl I had ever dated -- almost all for different reasons -- and she ended up being right about them all. She was polite, but she certainly never held hands and cried with any of them, let alone barely an hour after they'd first met. I knew that she'd love Sydney, especially considering she already loved her online persona and Syd was even better in real life.

I wasn't all that close with my cousin, but I had to admit that she and her husband were a great couple. They'd been together since middle school and truly loved each other. Her new husband was actually the first person I told about my streaming stuff and he was the one who had helped me build my first computer. I couldn't help but picture Sydney and me up there, and I wanted to kick myself. It was way too soon to be thinking about this shit. The ceremony was fairly quick, which was in line with the weddings in my family. The ceremony was the least important part, all we cared about was the party after.

As everyone shuffled off to the reception, my family members were basically fighting over who got to talk to Sydney first. "Did you play any sports, Sydney?" My uncle asked as we all stood in line to get food.

"Yes sir, I played soccer," she said. I actually had never known that, so I started listening more carefully. Her ability to explain soccer versus football to George was making more sense now. "I was a forward but I also did some defense stuff for a brief period. I played in college for three years but I blew out my knee so I had to retire."

"Clay played goalie in high school," my uncle said, looking at me.

"I didn't know that," she smiled, slightly raising her brow at me.

"I didn't know you played either," I laughed a little, "big-time college athlete."

"Oh please," she laughed, looking at my uncle and me. "I really wasn't all that good, I'm just tall and I had a good GPA so they needed me." She was far too humble -- it almost irritated me sometimes. She was brilliant and good at every single thing she did. It was part of why I was so attracted to her and part of why I initially didn't like her. 

"We play a little mini-tournament every year at our Easter party," he said, stepping back a little to exit the conversation. He could tell that others were waiting and I wanted to talk to her too. "If your knee isn't totally shot we'd love to have you."

"Sounds great! I'll see you there," she smiled so genuinely it made my heart stop a little. I couldn't tell if she was agreeing because she genuinely pictured herself going or if she agreed so she wouldn't make me look bad.