8

DREAM POV

I ended up going to bed soon after Sydney did. I introduced myself to the girls briefly and hung out for a few minutes before making an excuse to go upstairs. I wanted to let the boys hang out with Mina and Catherine, and I also wanted to be alone before I'd have to spend the next few days constantly around her. I spent most of the night tossing and turning, unable to fully fall asleep because my mind was racing. Around three in the morning, I heard shuffling that quickly turned into muffled screaming. It took me a second to figure out where exactly the sound was coming from, and then I realized it was coming from the next room over, where Sydney was staying. Before I could even comprehend what I was doing -- let alone stop myself -- I was suddenly hovering over a still-partially asleep yet very distressed Sydney. I could tell that she was yelling at something or someone, but I couldn't quite make it out. I didn't even mean to do it, but I sat down next to her and pulled her into my arms.

"Hey, you're okay," I whispered, as she jolted awake, sheer terror in her eyes. "You're okay," I knew she was out of it because she didn't even push me away or yell at me for coming in. I pulled down the blankets so we could get underneath and realized she wasn't wearing pants, just a t-shirt and underwear. I tried to peel my eyes away, but I wasn't very successful. I felt like a total creep, but I couldn't help but look at her legs as she curled into me. I almost kissed the top of her head but managed to stop myself. She continued crying into my chest for a minute while I rubbed her back as it heaved before she finally realized what was going on.

"Why the fuck are you in here?" She asked, scooting as far away from me as she could get while hastily wiping away her tears. She tried to cover herself once she realized what she was wearing. "Are you trying to assault me or something?"

"Fuck no, Syd!" I snarled, "I'm not a monster. I might be an asshole but I'm not going to fucking hurt you," I regretted it almost immediately as tears welled up in her eyes again. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to scare you again. I heard you screaming and I came in and you were still half-asleep, but you looked like you were absolutely terrified. I was just trying to calm you down."

She squinted her eyes at me for a moment. "Okay, well, I'm fine now. I'm the calmest person alive. You can go." Her shaky voice betrayed her instantly.

"What were you dreaming about?" I asked, even though I knew she probably wouldn't tell me.

"My dad," she whispered, letting her head fall into her hands to try to hide her tears. "He used to beat the shit out of my mom and me. Whenever I sleep in a new place I always dream about him finding me again. You woke me up before he killed me, which is usually the end result," she said, avoiding my gaze and wiping her tears away. She opened her mouth to keep going but hesitated for a second. "I don't know why the fuck I'm telling you this, forget it... and don't tell anyone about this," she laughed bitterly.

"I won't tell anyone," I said, my voice low and quiet. I finally understood why she picked the charity she did for her stream. "Do you want me to leave?"

"Again, don't tell a fucking soul about this," she started, "but could you maybe stay? Usually, Mina and Catherine would sleep with me, but they're not really an option right now."

I smirked a little, and even though I knew this wasn't the time to tease her, I couldn't help it. "Aw, does little Squid want me to comfort her?"

"Please shut the fuck up. Please," she begged, sliding further down under the covers and placing a pillow between us. "I just need another person in here so I don't feel alone. Do not touch me, do not look at me, and do not tell anyone about this."

"You're safe with me," I breathed, "I mean, your secret is safe with me." I tried to correct myself but she had already heard it. I was grateful she let it go and turned her back on me to go to sleep. I was thankful that she managed to fall back asleep quite quickly, laying there in silence would have been too awkward for me to handle.