"We should go, Your Highness." Rowan urged quietly from behind Cassian.

"Find out the origin of the whispering and extinguish it. That is an order." Cassian said tone frigid.

Cassian fidgeted with the collar as a guard announced his arrival. He sucked in a breath and smoothed his coat.

"I will wait outside." Rowan informed him. Cassian nod barely hearing his words.

'Let's get this done with.'

The soft clinks of cutlery against porcelain plates hung in the room with an intensity that matched the thick tension that coated the back of Cassian's throat with a bitter aftertaste

"We heard you found your mate on the last night, dear." Luna Queen Tatiana started carefully.

"Yes, Mother. She was almost taken by the rogues that night-" Cassian said.

"Goddess! She must have been so frightened." The Luna interuppted.

"-but she managed to hold her ground until the guards arrived along with Rowan and I." Cassian finished.

This seemed to catch the Alpha King's attention. "She is a soldier?" He questioned.

"No." Cassian replied setting down his knife and fork. "She is from the town."

"That is sweet. I just cannot imagine our Cass with a prim and proper noble lady." The Luna laughed. "What is her name?"

Cassian noticed his mother lean forward with bubbling excitement. Her smile grew infectious and Cassian found himself smiling along.

"Rhea. Rhea Willow Delaney." Cassian said.

He couldn't help but slip in a tad bit of affection as he said it. He reached for his water glass and downed it in one go. As a servant stepped forward to immediately fill it, Cassian noticed that his parents had gone silent.

"What is it?" He enquired looking between them.

His mother startled lightly but plastered a smile on her face. Even from his distance, it seemed forced to Cassian.

"It's a beautiful name." The Luna said glancing at the Alpha.

"Does she live with her parents?" His father questioned.

"She lives with her sister." Cassian said carefully.

"A sister." His mother echoed looking deep in thought.

He left out the part about it being Rhea's twin. Not like it mattered. His parents were never going to meet her given how much Rhea despises being his mate. Cassian hesitated wondering if he must continue.

"Her sister has been ill since very young and therefore the medical bills have caused a debt on them. Rhea works to pay off their debt and also pays for her sister's school tuition." Cassian informed his parents. It wasn't the entire truth but it will have to do.