【八】GAINA

Reina doubled over and clutched her growling stomach, wincing in her hunger pains. The sky was darkening and heading towards the night and she was absolutely ravenous. It had been a couple of days since she'd eaten and her body was taking its toll. Reina would steal something on the spot, but most places were already closed. She had taken way too long in that pub.

She scowled. The only place where she knew she would be able to get anything to eat was the alley behind that house. He would mostly have food with him but the chances of him giving her any would be low. After all, who would? The night before had merely been a coincidence - that's what she told herself. But part of her wanted his kindness to be true. For something in this universe to have mercy on her.

Sighing, she stood up from the bench at the bus stop where she'd been sitting and headed towards his house.

It wasn't long before pitch blackness came and the entire place was enveloped in darkness. But Reina's eyes were almost glimmering in the dark. The blackness didn't change a thing in her vision, it only made things a little darker. Apart from that, she could still see everything.

Reina took a deep breath and sat herself down on the hard rock concrete, where she'd sat only nights before. It wouldn't be too hard to have the boy come out again, right? She needed food. Not only was she low on food, the poison was directly affecting her body and it was becoming dangerous. Slowly, word would spread and she'd be a walking target, waiting for death. All the people she had betrayed and scammed would be after her. She laid her head against the wall. How hard life was.

"You're finally back," came a voice. A jolt went up her spine and she slowly sat up.

Reina glowered at the boy. "I didn't come for you. I came for the food."

He sat down with a grin, "It's kinda funny how you're asking me, out of all people, for food. And you're the legendary Spider too."

She snatched the bowl from his hands. Her own small hands brushed his tough warm hands and tingle exploded through her arm. The touch of another human. But Reina cut the thought away and started eating. The warmth washed down her throat and food had never tasted so good.

"They say food's better when you're hungry," he suddenly said. "But I think my cooking's just good." Reina didn't answer as she gulped down the soup and everything in it. "So how come you come here and not just randomly stealing from someone else?"

Reina put the bowl down, letting it clatter on the hard surface. "Who'd steal when they could just come here for free? Plus, there are more people after me than before."

"What are you talking about?"

"A few days ago I was-" Reina gestured to her arm and leg which were wrapped in old bandages. "And some smart guy thought that putting poison would, I don't know, make it worse for me."

"Did it?"

Reina glowered in defeat, "Yes." Then she turned to him. "And don't you dare utter a word about this to anyone else. Or I swear I will kill you. If anyone hears about this, they'll think it's the perfect time to kill me. And it is. Also," a spider leg sprouted from her arm, "I still have these."

He smiled. "No. I won't. That's your business."

She laid back and sighed. "Thank you. Not everyone does that for me."

"But let me ask you something."

Reina didn't even move. "No."

"Huh?! Why?!" He raised an eyebrow. "It's about Saturday."

"Then even more of a 'no'."

"Oh please. Why did you push me away on Saturday? I get that your probably didn't want me announcing that you were there at the shopping mall, but that's not all is it? You were heading somewhere else. Via the lower exit door," He spun Reina towards him and he looked at her. "It was that club wasn't it?"