𝟎𝟎𝟔

Midsummers... The one night a year when all the Kooks go and party together for a special fundraiser around the island. Believe me, when I was a kid I loved going to these types of dances with my father. We would always have our special dance every year until the divorce happened. Never again, until tonight.

I was going to see my dad again. I heard he was going to go with his new family. I wasn't prepared at all. I have no dress, no shoes, I have no clue how I'm going to do my hair, and I'm going to have to wear makeup.

"Y/n, my darling, wake up. You have to go shopping". Those were the first words I heard this morning. I was still drained after what happened last night at the movies. I push my head under my pillows covering the bright sun from my face. "Do I have to go to Midsummer? I don't feel like going". My mom sits down next to the empty space on the bed. "Sweetheart, I know you haven't seen your dad in months, but I would love to see you there with me" My mom smiles. "Sarah! When are we leaving?" I shout. "As soon as you are ready" Sarah shouts back. I slowly get out of bed. I make my way toward the bathroom, I take a nice warm shower. I change into a new pair of clothes after I showered. Afterward, Sarah and I head out the door.

The two of us get into her car now on our way to Tanny Hill. "I think the last one will be the one," said the fitting lady. I have tried on about four dresses so far, some were very tight, some were very loose, and one just didn't work for me. The nice young lady walks out of the dressing room to find my last and final dress. "I thought this would be easy," Sarah says while rubbing her forehead. "I like them it's just I don't think I could afford any of this". "Don't worry Y/n, it's coming out of my dad's paycheck" Said Sarah. Minutes later, I see the nice worker come back with a covered dress in a dress protector. "Try it on," She says. I grab the dress from her hand and I change one last time.

I tried it on, it was perfect. It wasn't too tight nor too loose, it was just perfect. I also loved the color, it was a beautiful sage green color with noodle straps and a satin texture. "I never felt this pretty before". I was admiring myself in the mirror. "We'll take it," Sarah says. I looked at the little price tag scanning the price, as soon as I read it I was in shock, Two hundred dollars almost three.

"I'm sorry but...". Sarah cuts me off "here's the cash" she hands the kind lady two hundred exact. "shall we go get our hair done?" She smiles. "y- yeah". Sarah and I walk out of the shop into another one. Sarah let me go first, I wanted something simple not too extra.

"so Y/n who's going to walk you out?" Sarah asks. Turning my back to her, I look up. "Actually I don't know, are you still walking out with Topper?" I asked. "I'm thinking of walking alone for this one, hey I have an idea we should walk out together," she says. This is the first time I hear her say something without Topper being involved.

"I don't think it'll be a good idea". I don't think Kie would be happy either. "oh come on Y/n it'll be great," Sarah says. I give in after a whole lot of convincing. "fine, I'm in". I heard her squeal. Let's just hope it goes by quickly.

After hours, my hair and makeup were finally done. After paying, we left the last shop. We get back in the car to go back to Sarah's house. Just when we get there, we go up to our room to get ready. Putting my heels on, I heard someone knock on the door, "Sarah, Y/n, honey our ride is here" Mr. Cameron says from the other side of the door. Before opening the door I added a small daisy on the side of my ear to match with the dress. I open the door as soon as Sarah was ready, revealing ourselves I watched the reactions both our parents gave us as we were walking down the stairs to the front door. On the way down, Rafe examined my whole body with a smile on his face.