Chapter 69

[2 months later - 9 months pregnant]

-Katniss' POV-

Two weeks.

Two fucking weeks.

How long can they stay inside me for? I've been stuck in this stupid hospital for the past two months with early sides of labour. Fucking kids.

I'm now two weeks overdue. Everyone else has had theirs and happily in their house.

Jerks.

I've been in this horrible mood for the past two weeks.

Even Luke and the boys have come back, thinking I've already had them.

My days consume of walking around my room or lying in bed, tossing and turning.

Peeta's been here since I've been submitted in here, sleeping in my hospital bed with me at night.

Right now I'm tossing and turning in me bed. Peeta sitting in the chair next to my bed. I pause, lying on my back for a few minutes.

I feel a gush of liquid fall onto the bed. My stomach instantly starts having shooting pains.

I scream in pain, telling Peeta to call a doctor.

A doctor and my midwife bursts through the door. My midwife checks me.

"Katniss, you're water has broken. You're in labour. You're already around seven centimetres dilated. It shouldn't be too long."

"Just get them out!" I exclaim.

Peeta grabs my hand, squeezing it reassuringly. He rubs his thumb over the top of my hand, kissing it every now and then.

[next day]

I hand my son over to Peeta who hold him close to his chest as he cries. Tears stream down my face.

Why you ask?

Well. One, because we lost our daughter. Fern Breeze Mellark died when she was born. She wasn't breathing when she came out and around fifteen minutes later, she was announced dead.

Now, not even a day later, they are taking my son, Cooper Levi Mellark away from me. My own sister called the social services because I had been under the influence of drugs and alcohol in the past year.

My mother and father showed up. I thought they were dead, they're not. They've only now come back from the Capitol. Haymitch and Effie have pretended to be my mother and father. Haymitch was the one abusing me and locked me in the basement.

They were shocked when Prim and Billy told them I was in the hospital in labour.

They've only just got to meet their grandson before he got taken away.

Luke and they bus met him yesterday. Everyone else is here today, and was here when the social services came in and announced they were to take him.

When my parents heard what the man and woman said about why they were taking him they were shocked I would do that.

Even though it was nearly a year and a half ago, they still won't let us keep him.

Peeta still clutches our little boy in his arms as he looks at me with bloodshot, puffy red eyes.

They finally take him off Peeta. As soon as he's left Peeta's arms, Peeta's sitting on my bed as we hug each other, crying our eyes out.

"It's all my fault." I sob.

"Shhh. Katniss it's okay." he reassures.

I love Peeta so much. Even though it is my fault he tries to reassure me it's not. He does all this for me and I can't even give him a child he's wanted.

We've lost both our child's in the space of a day.

And that's what breaks me.

Someone else will have to bring up our son and explain why he doesn't live with his real parents.

You should have known a sad chapter would be coming soon😏

So they've lost their son and daughter, two different ways😭