03

Lemon Lover
03| There is

The week had been long and boring so far, but most of all it had been disappointing. It was Friday. Four days had gone by with no reply, no pencil written note on her desk. And today wasn't any different.

On Monday Ava had read the last note for the first time, the one that the person had left her before semester break. And now every day, she read it over and over again, a goodbye letter, though it looked nothing like it.

It read

«Bite your lips, your word's a robbery»

, to what she had replied with

«Do you grin inside? You're killing me »

, but now that the person had actually stopped responding, the second part felt more and more realistic to her.

Finishing her own quotes was utterly depressing.

«Don't waste your time on me»

«You're already the voice inside my head.»

The time on her phone showed that the last lesson of this week was almost over, while she read all the lines they had shared, though it weren't that many.

Quietly, she hummed the melodies to each of the songs, falling into a feeling of nostalgia, as if it hadn't been only two weeks ago.

Ava felt someone's eyes on her, a feeling she was quite familiar with due to the paranoia she experienced whenever she was alone in the darkness.

But she was sat in a room full of students, a room flooded with bright daylight and she wasn't fearful.

Looking up she met the gaze of a boy who was sat across the room. He had gotten comfortable in his seat, legs wide and a phone resting on his thigh, the light of the screen catching Ava's attention. His elbows rested on the desk behind him, a desk no one sat at, so it didn't bother anyone.

Ava had expected him to fight shy of her gaze, but he didn't.

Calum had been watching her for days; the girl that sat in his seat, the girl who always seemed a little sad when looking down at her desk as if wishing to find something that wasn't there and yet she kept writing on the wooden surface, begging him to answer.

He knew he should've told her. He had started feeling bad on Wednesday, however he never built up the courage to tell her. Instead he watched her.

This was the first time she noticed. And the moment their eyes met, he decided on something.

As the lesson was over, he watched her pack her things and leave from the corner of his eye,  packing his own things intentionally slowly, waiting for everyone to leave.

"Mr Hood, plan on leaving anytime soon?", the professor asked, annoyance in his voice. "I only have a 30 minutes break until the next lesson."

Calum sent him a smile, covering up the uneasy way he felt. "Then you should better get going, I can find my own way out."

He knew that the professor wasn't supposed to leave before the students, but he acted as if he didn't and to his surprise it seemed to work as the middle aged man actually left, mumbling something about having to go to the bathroom.

Swinging his backpack over his shoulder, he pushed the chair he had originally sat on to the table, making his way over to his old desk.

A pang of guilt filled him as he read her quotes from "I miss you" by blink-182.

She had answered her own quotes. He could tell by the slight difference in size and handwriting that the quotes had been started on a different day than they had been finished on.

One quote caught his eye. It was written in the corner of the desk, smaller than the other ones. He had almost not seen it and when he read it, he knew it wasn't just a song stuck in her head. It was a message, disguised as another note.

«These notes you wrote me, I've kept them all»

He pulled out a tiny pencil he had pushed into his jean pocket and finished the quote before leaving for the weekend.

«I've given a lot of thought of how to write you back this fall»

A/N: I kinda feel like this is bad and tbh I didn't put my everything into it I'm just tryna get to the next chapter cause I'm excited abt that one

VOTE!