Chapter 42: One Legendary Sword to Another

[Kromozo 14, 0100 A.R., Ventrion]

[Strean Plains, Heavensgard]

Shinn looked at his Mark of the Empyrean for a moment as it flickered, he felt something went wrong on Hanamiya's end as he sensed the colour changed from Gold to Aquamarine for a moment.

"You alright?" He turned to find NoxNitro looking at him worriedly as Shinn was resting on a spare cot that was provided for the rest of his Guild. Ever since he had rescued NoxNitro and his group, they have chosen themselves to follow him as their new leader. This eventually lead to Shinn forming the Guild [Pyro Samurai]. While it was a notably small five-person guild, Shinn included, they specialized on sabotage missions and have been treated as the go-to group for the Phiramesian Troops they consisted of.

NoxNitro, a Myrken Alchemist that specializes in Potions often worked as the main healer of the group but after they chose to follow Shinn as their leader Nox more or less became the second in command.

Alira, an Aquilan Archer serving as the Markswoman and Scout of the group. Much like NoxNitro, Alira once operated as the Second in command of the Group and while much of that position remains, she mostly relegates as a scout and only becomes second in command should something were to happen to both NoxNitro and Shinn.

Sh1n.0BU, a Self Proclaimed Fyluar Ninja and her role often work as a skirmisher and a secondary Scout for Alira. While she is reckless, she does make up for enthusiasm.

Joseph Stalin, a Myrken Blacksmith who operated as the Damage Dealer of the group and for the most part he was quiet and prefers to keep things to himself and maintain their weapons.

"Do we have a job to do?" Shinn asked getting up and changing the subject at hand.

"One," NoxNitro said as he handed him a letter. "Juno-san left for this morning to investigate a massive fire that happened in the Idorilian Canyon, with the orders of more or less investigating a potential movement within Old Heavensgard."

"Old Heavensgard?" Shinn asked in surprise as he read the contents which itself simply an expanded version of the mission that NoxNitro has been telling him. "You mean the old fortress?"

"Yeah that one, for some reason Juno-san suspects that the Aegiot troops intend to take it once and for all," NoxNitro explained, from what Shinn learned Old Heavensgard was a heritage site and was widely regarded as a sacred place. For a Military Power to come on and take it for themselves was not only a violation of the verbal agreement that all Nations from other regions must not attempt to take it but also a sacrilegious act.

The Commander must be pushing the treaty to the limit with this loophole. Shinn thought as he handed the letter back.

"Tell the others to get ready," Shinn said as he reached for Flameclaw which was resting on the side bur as he picked it up he had found a shocking sight.

Along the blade was a noticeable crack. It was small but still noticeable. While it may look like an ordinary crack it should be noted that Flameclaw was a powerful and legendary weapon forged by the Pyreburner himself and is highly regarded as a national treasure to the Austerians had it not chosen Shinn as its wielder.

He ran a finger along the crack and found that the crack released a cold sensation in contrast to the rest of the blade which was fairly warm when not in use. The same kind of feeling when a weapon is under the effects of Frost Deterioration.

Could this have anything to do with the fight I had with Rev-no-Haruka the last few days? Shinn thought as he recalled, since that duel in the Asuran Badlands he has yet to draw his weapon save for his training sessions with Juno. But even if that were the case could it be that his sword is stronger than mine?