27

hey guys, I'm sorry for not getting this done as quickly as I had anticipated I was kind of smacked in the face with shit to do in the Christmas holidays in terms of life, yknow? Sooo while I hate to admit it (seriously, this is painful) this story slowly became less and less of the priority I had hoped it would be during the holidays. Now, I have work and (nearly) uni to add to the load so while I wish I could say I will be getting better with the updating, I think, realistically, it's going to be a bit slow for a while. So please please please bare with me because I am absolutely not giving up on this story and it will totally be done, I've just got young adulthood looming over me and metaphorically holding a knife to my throat. So thanks so much for reading and I hope you enjoy this chapter!!!

I woke up with a pounding headache.

My nose was blocked.

My skin felt like it was the temperature of the Sahara desert during the day.

The blankets were both too warm and yet I was freezing.

No no no no I thought, Absolutely not!

This could not be happening. Of all the times to get sick was now really the time?

I certainly didn't think so.

I swallowed nervously, before I felt it. A severe, burning sensation throughout all of my throat.

No. Absolutely not. This is not happening I did not loose my voice. I didn't I didn't I didn't I didn't-

"Annabeth!" Piper's voice carried from the doorway. "Why are you still in bed, come on we've got stuff to do before the show tonight, starting with your chat with Perrccyyyyy!!"

I could sense her excitement from under the covers. the made me want to cry. There was no way in hell I was seeing Percy today. Not when there was a chance that I could expose him to whatever horrible cold I had right now. In fact, that reminded me that Piper should totally not be in the same room as I right now.

"Piper no. I'm sick. Get out. Please." Is what I said - short, succinct, got the point across. Well, I say said but it was more of a croak. I shut my eyes and desperately prayed for this to be a horrible nightmare. Please let me wake up. Alas, I did not.

Piper's eyes widened and she rushed over to my side. Seriously, what part of get out did she not understand?

"Annabeth holy-. Oh my god- I. What? No, no no! Um, how sick are you really? Like on a scale of 1, meaning I'm-a-little-sick-but-totally-cool-and-fine-enough-to-perform-in-front-of-hundreds, or 10 being I-literally-feel-like-I'm-dying,-I-can't-speak-and-I-can-not-get-out-of-bed-let-alone-perform-so-Percy-will-have-to-wait-and-you're-willing-to-let-Drew-perform-as-Annabeth-for-tonight-because-Selina-still-isn't-better?" Piper shot me a pleading smile that made me question her sanity for a moment. 

"Please let it be a one, is it a one?" Piper begged.

I shook my head, trying my best to let her down easily. There was no way I could perform tonight. I wasn't feeling as horrible as 10 was described as, but it still wasn't wroth the risk. not when I could make the entire cast sick as well, risking the future of the entire musical. 

I tried to tell her that, but no sound came out. Swallowing, I- Ouch for gods sakes that hurt. I violently winced when I swallowed, the pain searing down the throat. 

Piper made a sympathetic face, "Okay don't take, I'll get you some paper. Sit tight for a sec."

She rushed out of the room, and moments later returned with a pink notebook and ballpoint pen. 

I mouthed to her, understand?

She nodded back, "I don't want to leave you alone while you're sick hun, I- I could probably hold off on everything we were going to do. I'll stay home and make you some soup or something, please, let me?"

My heart hurt. How the hell did I manage to luck out on a best friend? While some guilty part of me (probably the part that got sick in the first place) wanted to accept, wanted to be coddled like the sick human that I am, I shook my head. I grabbed the pen that she had bought for me and turned to a blank page, scribbling down another message instead of forcing my sore throat to talk.

 I grabbed the pen that she had bought for me and turned to a blank page, scribbling down another message instead of forcing my sore throat to talk

She made a face, "I really want to say no to that." She told me.

I made a face back at her. Holding my hands together in a pleading gesture, I obviously mouther to her PLEASE?! GO! HAVE FUN!

Rolling her eyes, she shook her head. "That's it. I'm sorry, I love you, and I respect you, but no way am I leaving sick Annabeth home alone. Come on, I'm not doing that."

My heart sunk. I shook my head frantically and tried my absolute best to convince her otherwise while remaining silent and keeping my distance form her.

Piper didn't seem like she was budging. I was just about to give up when something seemed to click in her brain. Maybe it was the sense that I was right? That seemed unlikely, but I had hope.

"Fine, I'll go. there happy?" She raised her eyebrows at me as she backed out of the room.

I smiled and happily clapped my hands together, then waved at her. Finally, just as she was leaving the room, I put my hands together in the shape of a heart and mouther LOVE YOU!!! To her. She rolled her eyes and shut the door behind her.

Smiling to myself, smug that I convinced her to not waste her day on me, I fell asleep again. 

Annabeth was too tired to register the sound of Piper making a phone call right outside the room. 

Approximately an hour later, Annabeth was practically sleeping like the dead. She couldn't have realised if she tried that she was being moved locations.

And hey, if when she was put down on the new bed, and the person who moved her pressed a soft kiss to her forehead, that would be fine, right? It wasn't like she would remember, anyways.