38 - Bleeding Through

Flashback

Prince Leopold and Young Cora were walking in the wood together and Cora was telling him a story about herself, "There it was my oldest nightdress. The boys tied it to the top of the windmill, it's flapping in the wind for the whole village to see," She chuckled, "And I am the maddest little 8-year-old that you have ever seen," Young Cora said.

Prince Leopold laughed, "Did you ever get revenge for that?" He asked her.

"That's a long-term plan. You see, there aren't that many young people in my village, and, odds are, one of them will end up married to me. That should do it," Young Cora said.

Prince Leopold laughed, "You're wonderful," He saw her rubbing her arms, "And cold," He said.

She chuckled, "It's a bit frosty, but I'm okay," Young Cora said.

"Uh, I...I'd build a fire for you, but I'm embarrassed to say I don't know how," Prince Leopold said.

"I do," Young Cora said as she took his dagger and began making a fire on a bunch of wood on the ground.

"I'm going to be king," Prince Leopold said as he was sat on the log.

"I gather that happens when you're prince," Young Cora said.

"And I want to do right by that gift. I keep telling myself I want to be a man of the people, and then I realise I can't even build a fire, a task any reason can do," Prince Leopold said.

"Well, this peasant can fix that," She motioned him to kneel next to her and they both blew on the straw lightly and the first was soon lit.

"See? Just have to let air get in it," Young Cora said and they sat on the fallen log with the fire crackling in front of them.

"When the throne becomes mine, I'll need to provide an heir of my own," Prince Leopold said.

"You'll have to marry," Young Cora said.

"And start a family immediately," Prince Leopold said.

"That actually sounds nice. Anyone in mind?" Young Cora asked hopefully.

"Yes... Princess Eva from the Northern Kingdom. We've been engaged since her birth," Prince Leopold told her.

"Oh," She sighed, "Is she nice?" Young Cora asked.