Chapter Twenty-Eight

I am welcomed into town by a sign reading 'Welcome to Westview.' It is buzzing with activity on this bright and sunny day in this small town. People are walking their dogs and children are playing outside. I can't help but feel light in this dream world.

Wanda's dream world.

I somehow know I have made it to the right house when I am standing in front of a bright green house. I take a deep breath and consider turning around, before marching up the driveway. I wonder what she is going to think seeing me like this. I know that I have to pretend to have lost my memory, and play along with a storyline. Maybe I'm a neighbor from down the road coming to say hello?

I am startled when a next door neighbor to Wanda looks at me, staring a little too long. She stands up from the wall dividing the properties that she appears to be painting.

"Hello dear, I'm Agnes. Have I ever seen you around?"

"I'm Gracee, and I live down the road, so, maybe."

"Mm. Why do you look so scared? I don't bite." Agnes laughs.

"I sure hope not." I join in on her laughter, making sure it doesn't sound too strained.

"Do you know Wanda?"

"Yes, she's an old friend."

"Interesting." Agnes smiles, sending chills down my spine. "Well, I better get to making some dinner for my husband Ralph. It was nice to meet you, dear."

"Nice to meet you too."

I look away quickly, trying to shake off the uneasiness I feel after that interaction. Once at the door, I knock with a little too much force. I can't help but smile when Wanda opens the door. I didn't know when I would see her again, and I've missed her so much.

She intakes a sharp breath when she sees me, but covers it up by smiling brightly.

"Hey! You must be Wanda. I'm Gracee, I live down the road."

"Hello, nice to meet you." Wanda strains a smile.

"Do you think I could come in?"

"Sure, I just made some lemonade, if you'd like a glass."

"That sounds fantastic, yes please." She opens the door all of the way and I step inside. "I love the way you've decorated the place."

"That's very sweet of you." Wanda going into the kitchen and opens the refrigerator.

I sit down in a chair in the dining room and watch her as she gets the lemonade out. She seems different. Somehow more mature and... happier.

"So, how are you?" I ask, trying to be causal.

"I'm great. How are you?"

"Pretty good." I smile, happy to be with her again.

She pours the lemonade and then hands it to me, sitting down in front of me.

"Thanks Wands."

Oh shit.

"What did you just call me?"

"Wanda. That's your name, isn't it?" I try not to let the fear show on my face.

Wanda sighs. "You never were a good liar, were you Gracee?"

I gulp as she stands up, ready to use her powers and send me back. "Wanda, wait, please."

"Why should I?"

I stand up and back away from her. "I know you wouldn't do any of this on purpose. Trust me, I know that. I just wanted to check on you, make sure you were okay. Even if you have left your old life behind and forgotten all about me, I still remember you. I still love you, Wands."

"I could never forget you, Grace. But it isn't safe here for you."

"Please." I plead with my eyes.

Wanda sighs and lowers her arms, her powers fading away. I exhale in relief and sit back down.

"Be honest with me. Are you really okay?"

"I don't know." Wanda's voice wavers. "Are you really okay?"

"It's not easy, but it's getting better. I lost my powers after the fight. We figured out that using my powers was the only thing keeping the serum from killing me. I have them back now though, that's how I got here."

"What do you mean?"

"I teleported." I take a sip of my lemonade.

Wanda raises her eyebrows in surprise. "I'm proud of you, Grace."

I pause, feeling lighter knowing that someone is proud of me. "I've missed you so much."

"I've missed you too." She smiles, a real smile this time, when she notices Peter's shirt on me. "So, how are you and Peter?"

"We're good. Really good." I smile at the thought of him. "So, you have kids now?"

"Yes." Wanda laughs.

"Will you tell them that their Aunt Gracee said hi?"

"Of course."

"Okay." I realize that my eyes are tearing up and stand up. "I should probably go. Before Peter gets worried."

"Okay." Wanda stands up as well.

I pause before hugging her. "Stay safe, okay?"

"Okay." She says. "You too."

"I always do."

I let go of her and then back away, opening a portal. "I love you, Wanda."

"I love you, Gracee."

I give her one last smile before stepping back through the portal. I fall into Peter's arms and he hugs me tightly, not letting go.

"Are you okay?" He asks.

"I'm okay." I reassure him.

"How did it go?" Jimmy asks.

"Is she okay?" Asks Pietro.

"She's good." I smile. "And Jimmy, I'm not going to be able to help you anymore. Wanda will figure it out herself. I know she will."

"Okay then. Thanks for trying."

"No, thank you. I needed to see her again." Jimmy nods and then turns to walk away, when I stop him. "Jimmy, I would keep an eye on Wanda's next door neighbor, Agnes. Something just isn't right about her."

"I'll make sure to remember that. Bye Gracee, thanks again."

"Bye."

Two guards escort Peter, Pietro and I outside. They stay at the front doors, watching as we say our goodbyes. Pietro surprises me by hugging me tightly. I guess he really did miss me.

"Will you be okay?" I ask him.

"I'll just stay here, do what I can to help. Will you be okay?"

I look back at Peter, who is smiling at me. "I'll be okay."

"I love you, Witchy."

"Love you, Speedy."

I walk back to Peter and open a portal to his house, taking his hand in mine as we step through. The last I see of S.W.O.R.D is Pietro giving a a small wave, and then I am back home.