Chapter Three

I'm on my way to change into my quantum suit when I see my dad in the hallway. I stop walking and smile at him, happy to see him.

"Hey, Dad."

"Hey, kiddo."

"Are you okay?"

"Don't worry about me. Are you okay?"

"It's a lot to take in, but I'm happy to be back."

"I'm happy you're back, too." He looks at the ground, and when he looks back up at me, there are tears in his eyes.

"Dad, what's wrong?"

"I missed you so much." His voice shakes as he tries to hold back his tears.

I hug him, and he hugs me even tighter than he did when I first arrived. I think back to Titan. I've never seen him as scared as he was when he realized I was dying. I know he would do anything to protect me, but there was nothing he could have done then, and he knew that. I've never seen such a helpless look in his eyes.

"I'm so sorry," I whisper.

"Don't be sorry."

"I left you."

He puts his hands on my shoulders, looking into my eyes. "Listen to me. You have nothing to be sorry for. I'm the one who needs to apologize. I didn't protect you."

"There was nothing you could have done to protect me."

"And there was nothing you could have done to stay with me."

A tear glides down my face, and he pulls me back into his arms. I realize that even though it feels like I just hugged him yesterday, it's been five years for him.

"What's Morgan like?" I ask.

"She reminds me of someone else when she was a little girl."

"I still am your little girl, you know."

He lets go of me. "No, you're not. But that's okay. You've become the young woman I always wanted you to be."

"That's because of you, Dad."

"Well, I won't take all of the credit. Twelve percent goes to your mom."

"How generous of you," I laugh.

"I've really changed, haven't I?" He smirks.

"Does Morgan know about me?"

"Yes, but she doesn't understand why she can't meet you."

"What did you tell her?"

"I told her that she has an older sister. An older sister who's the most beautiful person inside and out. She's smart, strong, kind, and can make anyone smile. She's exactly what you would want in daughter, and a sister. She looks up to you. I told her about how you took Steve's shield sledding and caught her looking for it the next day, after it had snowed."

"I love her already." I smile, tears gleaming in my eyes.

Steve comes down the hall, nodding at us as he passes. I look at my dad, who doesn't smile back at Steve.

"What's that about?" I ask.

"What's what about?"

"Never mind. I'm gonna go change into my suit."

"I don't recall saying you could go."

"This is my fight as much as it is everyone else's."

"It's not safe. If you were here, I wouldn't have to worry about you. We'll take all the time we need in our different locations, but you'd only be waiting here for a minute."