Chapter Twenty-One

When we get home, May is in the kitchen, preparing for dinner.

"Hey, May," I say we leave Peter's room after coming in through the window.

"Hey, where have you been?"

"We went to Delmar's and then did our homework on the Empire State Building."

"I will never get used to how causally you say that," May laughs. "How is Mr. Delmar?"

"He's good," answers Peter.

"And Murph?" May asks, looking at me.

I try to keep my voice even as I say, "He died last year."

"Oh, no." May frowns. "He was such a sweet cat. The first time I took Peter to Delmar's, he was just a little boy. Murph didn't even care when he picked him up off the floor and carried him around the whole deli."

"That doesn't surprise me at all." I smile at Peter as he laughs under his breath.

We both put our backpacks down and sit at the counter together.

"Did you see the text I sent you at school?" asks Peter.

"Yeah, I texted you back."

"No, you didn't."

"You probably just forgot to click send," I say.

"You're probably right," May chuckles.

"So can Ned and MJ stay the night?" asks Peter.

"Of course! I'm excited to see them."

"Me too." I smile.

"We should get ready before they get here," Peter says to me, and I nod.

"Dinner should be done by the time you're done taking showers," May says.

"I can't wait!" I say as I follow Peter down the hall.

I take one of Peter's shirts and my sweat shorts out of the dresser and walk to the bathroom. I take a fast shower because I washed my hair last night, and it's still straight. After I get dressed, I brush my teeth and do my skincare. When I walk to Peter's room, he is still looking through the dresser.

"Hey, have you seen my NASA shirt?" he asks, not looking up at me.

"No, I haven't seen it," I say, walking into his room, wearing his NASA shirt.

I bend down behind him, kissing below his ear. He smiles and turns around, looking at the shirt I'm wearing. I smile at him guiltily, and he throws me over his shoulder, jumping onto the bed. I scream as he tickles me, until his mouth is close to mine, and I'm looking up at him.

"Do you want your shirt back?" I ask, my voice barely a whisper.

"I like it better on you," he says, the deepness in his voice making it impossible to think.

He kisses me, and heat moves down my body.
I sit up, climbing into his lap as he leans back against the wall. His tongue slips into my mouth, and I open for him.

I move my hips in a rhythm, feeling his need for me pressing between my legs. He tightens his hold on my hips, and our mouths part. We are both out of breath as we hold eye contact.

"Oh, my God," Peter whispers, and I grip his shoulders tighter at the sound of his voice.

I press my lips to his, moaning into his mouth. He kisses me harder, his hands guiding my hips and creating more friction between us.

"Ned and MJ are going to be here soon," I say breathlessly.

"We should stop."

"I don't want to stop."

"Neither do I."

His kisses me with more urgency, and I move faster against him. My hands are tangled in his hair, pulling him closer to me.

More. I need-

A pan crashes to the floor in the kitchen. Our lips part and we look down as we try to get our breathing under control. I sigh as I slide off the bed, trying to ignore the ache between my legs.

"I'll make sure she's okay," I say.

"O- okay."

I leave Peter's room, walking to the kitchen. May is staring at the oven with her hands on her hips.

"May, are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm just waiting until this is finished cooking."

"Why are you staring at the oven?"

"Because I'm not letting it burn this time."

"What are you making?"

"Meatloaf."

"Do you need any help?"

"No, thank you though." She smiles.

I walk back to Peter's room to find him staring at the wall. I don't have to read his mind to know he's replaying what just happened between us in his head.

"Peter?" I ask warily.

"Oh, h- hey." He blushes.

"Weren't you going to take a shower?"

"Oh, yeah. Silly me." His face turns red as he stands up, kissing my cheek before walking to the bathroom.

"You left your-" The bathroom door shuts. "Clothes."

Seconds later, it opens, and he walks back to his room. "Sorry. I left my clothes." He grabs them, kissing my cheek again. "I love you."

"I- I love you."

He leaves me standing in his doorway, smiling like an idiot.