Chapter Ten

The masters of the mystic arts open various portals that transport everyone back to their homes. Since my home was destroyed, Pepper insists that I go home with her. She tells me that Tony built them a cabin in the woods and that they even have an alpaca named Gerald.

I'm happy that my mom and dad built a new life for themselves while I was gone, but I'm not ready to see what I missed out on. When I tell her this, she understands.

None of this feels real. I feel like I'm moving in slow motion when Peter leads me away from my dad. I get a glimpse of someone removing the stones from his body before I'm forced to look away. Everyone's voices sound distant. I hear people talking to me, but I don't process what they're saying. I don't look anyone directly in the eyes because I'm scared of seeing how they're looking at me.

Peter leaves me sitting on the ground while he talks to May on the phone. I hug my knees to my chest, staring at the ground. I can still see my dad's lifeless eyes looking at me. I can still hear his voice when he told me I made him proud. I can still feel his hand holding mine.

I feel numb as I think back to the way he looked at me for the first time after five years. The way he hugged me.

I hear Peter's footsteps approach. He sits down next to me, but I don't look at him.

"Gracee," he says softly.

I slowly turn my head to look at him. His eyes are red from crying, and there are tear streaks through the dirt on his face.

"Is May okay?" I ask, my voice hoarse.

"She's okay."

"Did she..."

"Yeah, she did. When she came back, someone else was living in our apartment."

"Where are you guys staying tonight?"

"She got us a hotel. It has two bedrooms, but I can sleep on the couch."

"Why would you sleep on the couch if there's two bedrooms?"

"Because you'll be staying in one."

"What?"

"I want you to. So does May."

"I..."

"Please, Gracee. I need you." The vulnerability in his eyes kills me.

"Okay," I say.

He smiles, helping up. We walk to Doctor Strange, who is still opening portals.

"Where to?" he asks.

"Queens County Inn and Suites," Peter says.

May is on the other side of the portal, pacing in a small hotel room. Strange looks back at us, but I don't look away from the portal.

"Be careful, kids," he says.

"We will. Thank you, sir," says Peter.

I feel him looking at me. "I'm sorry about Tony."

I look at him, and there is a flicker of remorse on his face when he sees the tears in my eyes.

"Thank you for the portal," I say flatly, my voice breaking.

Strange nods, and Peter steps forward, sliding his hand around my waist. We both walk through the portal, and it disappears behind us.

May runs to us, wrapping her arms around the both of us. "Thank God you two are okay! What the hell happened?"

Peter and I sit down with her, telling her everything. Peter ends up asking me why I wasn't on Titan when he came back, and I explain everything that happened after my return. By the time I finish, we are all crying.