Please read!

Samara Shaw

It was huge and frightening yet a subject of admiration.

I stood with my back plastered to the cold wall as my eyes roamed the body of the creature that stood before me. The grey concrete didn't do justice to its beauty as all I saw then was just his figure. It was tall but his wings stood above his head, making him look even bigger than his original size. Due to the narrowed passageway, it was folded behind him but it was easy to spot it's size. His body was covered with rags and they were so dirty, I could not see its color through the dust coating it. It was as if they had been on his body for years which was the only explanation, considering he was once a statue and his entire body was covered with dust and concrete.

I could not help but let out a small gasp. I was frightened, again, but even more than I was before. I could feel my pulse racing as seconds passed. My mind could not comprehend what was going to happen next. It was better before, when I knew i was not going to die but I knew then that a lot of things could happen that would possibly lead to my death. I was alone with a creature, which looked bigger and stronger than I was, in the middle of a dark passage way. The only way to get out was to run but just like earlier, there was only few I could do before he would reach up to me.

Although, he did not look like he was going to cause me any harm, neither did he look angry but I didn't trust it. Those calm features could morph into something else and I was not willing to know what. All he showed was a soft emotion, nothing more than a small smile on his face.

I realised he referred to me as Astra, which means that just like the rest, he thought I was the queen. Therefore, he would think I was strong and powerful, without the idea of who I truly was, a young naive girl with no idea who he was or why he was there. Every time I hoped he wouldn't lunge at me cause no matter how hard it would be, I could not sustain any hits.

"Apologies, queen Astra"

He noticed my reaction to him after my minutes long silence and confused expression. I could not give a reply neither could I utter a single word. I looked afraid, anyone would notice I was terrified of him and after seeing it too, he let out a deep laugh. It was unexpected and took me completely by surprise. I did not expect such a reaction. He was laughing at me, something that although was very insulting, didn't hurt me the slightest bit. It didn't make me feel any better either. For all I knew, he could turn into something else after making a mockery of me.

"If I'm not confused, you look very afraid"

I still did not give a reply. Not when he had already seen how inferior I was to him. I stop there with different emotions running inside. Surprise, pain and oddly, anger. There was this rage I felt just watching him stand before me and look down at me like he was bigger than who I was. It was very obvious he was stronger, yet I felt deep inside that it would only take a snap of my fingers to turn the tables. Nevertheless, I didn't think much of it.

"Cat caught your tongue?" His laugh only grew more and more while I stayed quiet. There was nothing I had to say that could save me from whatever he was going to do. The most I could do was to ask who he was and that, at that point, was very unnecessary. "Astra, the powerful unconquerable queen of Bellum now afraid of me? Is this a joke?"

"Why are you laughing?" Those were the first words that came out of my mouth and I said them without thinking. He laughed for quite an amount of time and it only made me grow confused. Although he had said the reason why, I didn't see why anyone wouldn't be afraid of someone so big. His words only made me realise who Astra was and how strong she used to be. He said himself 'the powerful unconquerable queen' and those were enough to show me the legacy she left behind. If a creature so big and strong would refer to her with the words he used, then it means she had made quite an impression.

"After all these years of trapping me and my people, I'm free and now, you're afraid of me? There's no symmetry in this"

"I'm n_"

My sentence was cut short by the sharp sound from my side. It only lasted a second or less and every other thing happened in less than a minute. A blinding ray of light illuminated the whole place and just like the loud sound, was gone before I knew it. It's effect, however, was enough to send me facing the wall. My arms were up covering my head and my face was turned away from the source. I would not say I saw what exactly happened. My body, out of fright, left it's previous position and was crouched in the corner. Seconds had passed and I still couldn't find the courage to look up. I had no idea what happened but I was certain it did not come from me. It came from behind me which led me to realise somebody else was in the place. Whether danger or safety, I didn't know which it brought.

"Get up Samara, we have a whole journey ahead of us"

Immediately, I recognized who the voice belonged to. I only saw him once before then and it didn't come to my mind he would be there. I always knew there was something about him that made him unusual. He did look like human but I could remember what his hands looked like and how they made me realize he was one of them. I never expected him to possess such amount of power as I witnessed that night. It was something out of the ordinary and from someone I thought so little of.

I looked up and saw Justin, Accius' roommate, standing a few feet away from the window. His hands, which I remembered to have blue veins, glowed in the dim lights. From his elbows down to the tip of his fingers, shone like stars in the night sky. They were so blue, I could not think of anything to compare them with. His eyes, just like his hands, were striking blue. That was something that I could consider normal here in Thorne since all I'd seen in all their glory had eyes that glowed.

"Justin? What are you doing here?"

"I wish I could explain but we have just a few seconds to make it out of here and we might not get an opportunity like this ever again"

In three long strides, he was in front of me and with his hand, he held onto my arm with a tight grip. He pulled me up to my feet and we headed to the opened window. It was then I had the chance to see the damage he had caused. Where the window used to be was replaced with a large hole. It reached the ground and was high enough to consume the top as well. The entire area was opened that just a slight trip would send us down to the ground.

"Are we jumping?"

"Yes"

Justin hand was still tight around my arm and after a look of confirmation, we took another step and down we went to the ground. It was unlike the way it felt earlier. I was not as scared as I was and in addition to that, there was this feeling of courage. It may be that I only felt that way because there was no longer fear of death or one of the many inhuman things about me I couldn't explain. It didn't matter at the moment, all that did was what would happen after. If I remained within those walls with Vince and a creature that oddly found pleasure in mocking me, after all that I did, I would face the worst experience I would ever receive but if I did end up leaving, I didn't know what the future would bring.

Want to know more about this book?  It's published here on wattpad for free! Just visit my account and add it to your library!

Book Description
A new life away from her past was meant to be a break for seventeen year old Samara Elizabeth Shaw but an academy deep in the woods and far away from civilisation wasn't the best option for the rebellious teen. An opportunity for a change and hope for a new beginning soon changed to a total nightmare. All the broken pieces from her past and all she thought she had left behind became a trail of questions, fantasies and secrets.