Chapter 69: Bloodline

Start from the beginning

She turned her eyes and froze. The library had a glass ceiling that bathed the room in pure sunlight. The walls were painted a light yellow, making it softer to the eyes. Several furniture lounged in the corners to provide comfort. The floors were gray tiles, shiny and smooth under her feet. And with the shelves neatly kept, it looked like a scene from a novel.

"It's beautiful."

Alexi hid his smile and followed her gaze. "I remember that you liked libraries. Except of course that one time when we...umm..that was a mistake I will never forgive myself. Sorry, Emelia. I only meant to show you this place. Now I have ruined it."

"Don't be too hard on yourself, Alexi. I have already forgotten and moved on from the incident." She replied and began to move along the shelves. Her fingers touching the books ever so gently.

Em heard him muttered something but got distracted on the volumes. The Rheinhold's kept interesting titles. She longed to pick one and start reading but there were too many to chose from. She turned away and smiled at Alexi, "I think I am going to have a grand time here."

He smiled back and said something. Em looked at him and asked him to repeat what he had just said and he did. She saw his lips move but could not hear anything. Alexi noticed her confusion and held her hands, he squeezed and asked what was wrong. But Em has turned deaf.

Suddenly, a loud noise pierced her senses. It was too high pitched and she could not understand what it was about nor where it was coming from. She pulled her hands away from him and covered her ears.

"Emelia? Emelia! Are you alright? What is happening?"

She fell down on the floor with both hands on her ears. She tried to shake the noise away. "Make it stop! Make it stop!"

And as the noise grew louder the clouds darkened. The room was turning bleak and shadows crept from the corners. Em was suddenly seeing a mob—an angry one, breaking through the doors. Men and women carried torches and were shouting at what seemed to be her. They were pointing at her, saying something...something...

Everything went dark and Em went limp.

When she came to, she saw Cassandra lighting up a candle. The girl noticed her gaze and turned.

"Oh! You are awake!" She ran towards her bed and touched her cheeks. "How do you feel?"

"P-parched..."

Cassandra quickly poured her some water and helped her sit up. Once she felt calmer and much awakened she asked, "What happened?"

"You had a faint spell, miss."

"I did?" She looked around. The room was not familiar. "Am I back at the palace?"

"No. You are still at Highdoor castle. This is the room we prepared for you." She took the glass from her and stood up. "I shall ask the cook to make something for you. You must be famished."

"Wait! Is the prince still here?"

"He is. I believe he and lady Rosalind were speaking with the doctor about your condition. Would you like to see them?"

"Yes, please."

"No worries. I shall send for them."

Em nodded and waited until the doors closed. She examined herself and noticed that she was dressed into her sleeping gown, perhaps to make her comfortable. She slid of the bed and found her robe hanging on a peg. There was fire burning so she was not cold but the floors chilled her toes. She sat on the rug and curled into a ball.

Her mind tried to understand what had occurred but she couldn't recall what happened. Just then, the doors opened and both Alexi and Rosalind came in.

"Emelia!" Alexi ran to her. "How do you feel?"