CHAPTER FIFTY-ONE

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Game Over
chapter fifty one

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

                    "HEY, YOU HAVEN'T BEEN ANSWERING YOUR PHONE ALL DAY," Phoebe called out as soon as she entered the quiet home and closed the door tight behind her, locking the deadbolt. "I didn't think you'd text Lip about the bachelor party." The house was messy, though she did expect it. He had told her all about the bachelor party with his so-called friends. Though she had warned him about tearing the house apart, she knew that it was inevitable. She moved toward the living room where the TV was left on mute. The news played on the screen, the anchorman silently explaining the situation their country was currently in or some gossip about a celebrity. She wasn't too sure which it was and she didn't care too much to figure it out. Instead she switched off the television and looked back over the room with hands on her hips. Beer bottles littered the floor, ash trays were overflowing with cigarette butts and ashes. One of his nicer shirts was even laid across the back of the couch with a pizza sauce stain on the front pocket. She smiled down at it, picking it up and placing it over her shoulder.

          "Baby boy~" she called teasingly. It was weird for him to go without contacting her. Even if he had a busy day ahead, he would always let her know with a quick text or even a brief phone call. It was definitely out of the ordinary for him to just go radio silent. He had even promised to call the day before. She first checked the kitchen. She poked her head inside to find it empty. The trash was overflowing and a pot sat on the stove, flies buzzing around the half opened lid. She disregarded it as her main mission was to find her missing fiance. She dropped the dirty shirt in the hamper as she came across the guest bathroom. She pushed the door open and flicked on the light. The shower curtain was open and the toilet seat had been left up. An ashtray was left on the side of the tub, less full than the one in the living room on the floor. There were towels bunched up in the corner. She picked them up and dropped them into the hamper with a sigh.

          She was starting to get a little worried. Perhaps he hadn't woken up yet. Based on the condition of the house, she figured that he had had a long night. He was most likely hungover. She was fighting off her own hangover from her surprise party. She couldn't blame him for sleeping in. She had wanted to come home that night and spend the evening with him, but she knew that it was best she had stayed at the Gallaghers. One reason being that she was drunk to the point where she had tunnel vision. Everywhere she went, she was bumping into things or tilting over. Secondly, he was surrounded by his coworkers. They were drinking, smoking, and they were dangerous. The two had kept their relationship hidden fairly well to keep her from getting mixed into the rivalries, and to keep her from becoming a casualty. But after her chance encounter with Rollie, they had to be even more careful.

          She moved on to their bedroom door. She knew he was home. His shoes were left by the door, knocked over like he had kicked them off the second he got home. There was no doubt in her mind that she'd find him curled up in bed, possibly napping and dreaming something sweet. The door opened with a creak under her hand, and she silently slipped inside. The blankets were pulled up and over him, his shoulders half exposed. His back was facing her. The curtains were drawn to block out the sunlight. She snorted at the small detail and stepped toward the curtains. Her head tilted as she watched his figure. He was still. "Alan?" she whispered, taking her first step toward what she presumed was the sleeping boy.