CHAPTER FIVE

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Game Over
chapter five

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

"I COME BEARING GIFTS!" Phoebe announced as she entered the Gallagher house. Shopping bags hung from her arms, her phone held tight in her hands. Once she closed the door behind her with her foot, she started unwrapping the scarf from around her neck. Liam, Carl, and Debbie were the only siblings home. Fiona had told her before that she was going to a function with Tony and she knew Ian's work schedule by heart, but she was surprised to see Lip was missing. "What did you get?" Debbie asked curiously. The older girl skipped into the living room where the kids sat and placed the bags onto the couch. "I bought you a new jacket. I thought it was super cute and I know you've been complaining about the zipper on your old one."

She pulled out the baby blue jacket by its hanger and dangled it in front of Debbie. The girl gasped in surprise. "My mom paid my fifty bucks to leave the house so I thought I would spend it well." Debbie took the jacket in her hands and thanked Phoebe graciously. It wasn't long before she was ripping off the tags and slipping it over her arms. "Woah," she exclaimed. "It's so soft!" Her eyes basically sparkled as she looked up to Phoebe. She quickly wrapped her arms around the older girl and squeezed tight. "Did you get me something?" Carl asked, pulling at the white plastic of the bag's opening. Phoebe scoffed. "How could I ever forget you? Go put the jacket in your closet, okay?"

Debbie obliged and released Phoebe's waist, hurrying up the stairs to put her new jacket away. Now free, Phoebe reached into another bag and pulled out another plastic superhero. The arms waved at its side when she shook it. "Please don't melt him right away. At least give him a warm up period," she advised the young boy. He looked excitedly toward the toy. "Two days. That's all I'm asking." She finally held the toy out for Carl to take and he wasted no time in putting it to use. He used it to battle his trucks, beat up Debbie's old Barbie dolls, and crash into empty cans stacked on the floor. The sight alone made Phoebe feel proud.

"I also bought cream soda, but you've got to save some for your brothers." She plopped down onto the couch behind Carl, grabbing a tired Liam. He sat on her lap and leaned into her. His tiny hands reached at the necklace she wore, taking the small P in between his fingers. Softly, he pulled at the silver chain, his tired eyes staring out into space. She stayed quiet. She knew that it wouldn't be long before he'd be down for the night. After all, it was getting close to eight o'clock, which was another shock. Normally Lip would be home, and yet he was missing.

She rubbed up and down Liam's back, humming a lullaby softly. Debbie returned down the steps and sat on the other side of Phoebe. She had already changed for bed before Phoebe had gotten home and it was just then that Phoebe noticed the dampness to her hair. "Hey, Carl," she spoke up, tearing the kid's attention away from his destructive play. He turned toward her, his blue eyes wide. "Have you showered yet?" she asked. He hesitated for a moment. Usually when he lied, he got into trouble. But with Phoebe, sometimes she appeared oblivious. "No...?" he responded, narrowing his eyes.

          Phoebe sighed. "You have thirty minutes before you get in, okay? You have to take a shower before bed." He almost groaned. He hated taking showers. He didn't understand what was so bad about accepting one's dirt and filth. "Okay?" Phoebe repeated, to which Carl finally nodded. At least she was giving him time to play before getting in. She turned back to the tired toddler leaned against her, his head resting on her shoulder. His lips were parted for him to breathe, cheek squished against her. She ran a hand over his hair with a small smile.