CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Game Over
chapter thirty seven

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

THE HOUSE WAS PACKED FULL OF PEOPLE. It was a bit of a shock to her system once she walked in, being kissed by a lively environment and the smell of pigs in a blanket. "Wow," she sighed, her hand tightening around Ian's arm. He snorted. "How much you wanna bet that she's slept with most of the people here?" She nudged his side with her elbow, the tension in her body subsiding just enough for her to loosen up. "Why would I bet on something I'd lose for sure?" He patted her hand with a smile. The two walked into the house after Fiona and Debbie, eyes darting around the full living area. She recognized some people, but a lot of faces weren't familiar. They must have been Jody's friends, or maybe even Sheila's?

          "Ooh," she gasped, pulling Ian toward the vast array of food. "I hope Sheila made this. That woman is a god in the kitchen." The two unlatched just to grab their own plates, picking one of everything. "You actually came." Phoebe's head snapped up to see Karen standing there in a white dress. She was already glowing from the pregnancy. She looked beautiful. Phoebe cleared her throat, straightening her back. "Yeah. You invited me," she responded. "I would have felt bad if I didn't... come." Her eyes drifted toward the redhead who had forced her to go with him. It wasn't like she had anywhere else to be, but she wouldn't have minded being anywhere else. "Thanks, Phoebe," Karen sighed, her hand instantly moving to her belly.

          "That means a lot to me. I know we had that fight, but—" Her words drifted off once she noticed where Phoebe's eyes lay. They followed the way Karen's hand rubbed at her almost nonexistent bulge. "Lip told me about you guys' bet," she suddenly admitted, catching the brunette off guard. "Wh–What? H–He did?" Phoebe didn't expect that. It wasn't like it was a secret or anything. They never chose to keep it quiet, but why did he have to tell Karen of all people. "I know how bad you want a baby.." Why was she bringing this up? Phoebe's cheeks reddened from embarrassment. "Yeah, not anymore," she said with a forced laugh. "I plan on going to college, you know, so... A baby is not in my cards."

          Karen's eyes drifted from Phoebe's to her hands clutching the plastic plate in her grip. Her knuckles were almost white from how tight she had been holding it. "Hm." Ian stepped closer to Phoebe almost out of instinct. "Ian." The redhead forced a polite smile before popping a pig in a blanket into his mouth. Karen walked back to her new husband and the circle of people around him. His arm instantly wound around her waist. "How can someone be so gross?" she wondered aloud, picking up a deviled egg from her plate and taking a bite. "The devil walks among us." Ian wrapped his arm over the girl's shoulder and brought her into his side. "Don't let her get to you. She just wants attention."

          The two finished piling their plates and went back to the party. Veronica and Kevin were sitting at the counter, eating their own food. Fiona stood next to them. Debbie was still getting food, trying to find the perfect delectable to satisfy her hunger. "Question," Ian spoke up, taking back his arm to eat. "You were invited. Why didn't you just bring Alan?" She pursed her lips. There were multiple reasons. One being that she figured Alan might actually like Jody and she didn't want to risk them becoming friends and having to hang out with Karen. Two being that Karen would definitely ogle him the whole time and Phoebe wasn't immune to jealousy. "Eh. Maybe I just wanted to come with you," she responded, patting his cheek.